College drop out blues

/ College drop out blues #41  
For what it's worth...Out where I work over the years, I have seen a big difference between ex-military hires with some college and the interns Mom and Dad put thru college. The ex-mils are focused, job oriented, good social skills, and team players. The interns...welllll...

/ College drop out blues #42  
I left school and Went self employed at 16 , The money was better spent setting up a tree care business i thought.

/ College drop out blues #43  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigarms
By chance if your question is for your nephew, I'd suggest staying out of your sisters/brothers/in laws "business" unless they ask you directly for advice.

For your own children, IMO the military is never a bad option, just as long as that's what the person enlisting wants to do.

X'2 Good advice

X 3 airing family luandry in public can be devastating to the family members involved, besides who wants advice from a town crier

/ College drop out blues #45  
Enlisting in the military because you do not know what you want to do is just as mistaken as going to college because you think you should stay in school but have no idea what you want to do. A young person should not make such huge life altering decisions based on not knowing what they want to do.

Sorry, I disagree. The military can give structure to your life and give you a reason to want to do and try something (added the fact that food, housing and medical is taken care of for you). The fact is in both the military and civilian world, some people are lazy and don't want to be good at anything. The opposite holds true as well as far as wanting to excel.

For what it's worth...Out where I work over the years, I have seen a big difference between ex-military hires with some college and the interns Mom and Dad put thru college. The ex-mils are focused, job oriented, good social skills, and team players. The interns...welllll...

I don't think your comparing apples to apples.

Took me some time to realize that the military is just like the civilian world in that "people are people" in how they carry themselves in life. The difference being in the military some stupid mistakes can cost people their lives very easy. Leadership is no different. It's not the title or the rank, but the person.

Obviously you haven't seen some of the folks in the Army lately. I'm pretty sure you just need a pulse and to over 18.

Im certain it is far easier for a teenager in America to enter a college than the military. Talk about some sorry standards. You have the money, you go to college.

I find it funny how everyone thinks that going to college is the answer.

1. If you're grades are good in high school and you want a professional career and have an idea of what you want to do, go to college. Don't go to college to waste your time and money to "find yourself".

2. Enlist in the military.

3. Find a job that holds your interest and don't do it only for the minimum wage.

4. Go to a trade school.

Funny, going to a trade school never seems to be on anyones high list, but in todays society, IMO that is where the real money is at. People are forgetting how to build things, and the general population will pay for something they must have, particularly plumbing. Fact is though that getting your hands dirty doesn't seem to be the American dream anymore and we all have to be wearing a tie and suit and carry a briefcase to make any money.

Guess what it all comes down to is doing whatever makes you happy.

I do know however that when I got out of high school, my parents gave me three options.

1. Find a job and pay rent to stay at home if I'd like, but I live there by their rules.
2. Enlist in the military.
3. Go to college, but I would have to take out school loans and maintain good grades. My parents would help me finanically, but would not cover the majority of the costs.

One option not given to me was to stay at home and not work:D

Last edited:
   / College drop out blues #46  
Sigarms:
One option not given to me was to stay at home and not work

You hit the nail on the head very concisely with this statement. Kids should be made to go out and at least begin to earn their way. The experience is worth more than the the wages.

I also think passing up trade school for many is a mistake. They don't know how rotten cubicle life can be, we don't call folks that we share a cubicle with 'cellmates' for nothing :) Kids really don't have the experience to form a perspective on these issues. Hence, the old 'If I knew now what I didn't know then' saying.

Military or not, and the results, are about the person IMO. Some people need the order and structure it provides. It can be the best thing to happen to them and enables their success. From what I have seen, the miltary can be pretty good at making you suceed inspite of yourself. :) Others will find that to be more like a mental straightjacket, and I don't think they fit into military life well enough to make a career out of it. They can still benefit from spending 3-4 years in the service I think. It's really sad to see a Captain or Major run up against the 'up or out' wall.

Sometimes we figure out what we do like by first figuring out what we don't like.
Dave.

/ College drop out blues #47  
My son worked the first year out of High School then went to the local 2 year college under a transfer program. He is now a Junior at James Madison University on track to be a Naval Officer and hopefully a Navy Pilot. He watched friends flip burgers, he runs the local go cart track and has a 35 year old loser working for him so he sees the light! I'm a retired Navy Chief so he has been a Navy brat all his life.

mark

/ College drop out blues #48  
Kids should be made to go out and at least begin to earn their way. The experience is worth more than the the wages.

I agree 100%, however IMO sometimes it is the parents fault for failing to teach this to children at a young age, and then when those children become young adults expecting to "go out on their own", they are set up for failure.

My wife and I took a couple of child rearing classes. Funny, I thought it would of been some "liberal feel good never wrong" type of mumbo jumbo, but I actually found it very worthwhile and interesting. God forbid we teach children the value of working for money at a very young age and let them learn the mistakes they can make when they are children still under care. I actually found it refreshing when people who hold degrees in child pyschology tell you that in todays world, most children can be spoiled very easy, never being held accountable for their actions. Also found it amazing why I learned being a drill instructor doesn't always work as well.

/ College drop out blues #49  
Well now I don't think college is the only choice for anyone too imature to handle it, but I also don't believe manual jobs will be as available as the past couple of decades, and desk jobs will go to the best trained, even if they aren't the most skilled.
I think anyone living at home should be obligated to spend 40 hours or more either working, schooling or volenteering, and another 20 at home cleaning and maintenance of the house. If he can't get a paying job then send him off to the hospitaal to volenteer (or to some other comunity organization.) The worst possible thing would be to allow him to lay around and party and get a free ride if he is capable of work.