Colvert???

/ Colvert??? #41  
Glenn, there was a 24" pipe in the creek to begin with and the creek was a short distance (20 - 30 feet) from the bottom of a steep hill. I wanted to not have such a steep approach to the creek so I put in the 48" pipe and built the road up. There is about 2 feet of fill on top of the pipe. The original pipe was about level with the banks of the creek so the 48" pipe was almost 2 feet higher than the creek banks. Therefore the sides of the pipe had about 4 feet of fill around them (2 feet to the top of the pipe and 2 feet on top). I did not need to bend the pipe since the creek was straight at this point so I did not need to bend the pipe. I do not think the pipe can be bent though. I think the pipe is adequately sized but we have not had enough rain this year to give it a really good test but there has been no problem so far. The old pipe did not handle the flow during quick, heavy rains. The creek sometimes overflowed 15 - 20 feet out of the banks. This has not happened since the 48 " pipe has been installed. The cost of the pipe was a lot more than I anticipated. I did not shop around because I trusted the contractor that was doing the work for me. I put in 2 30 foot by 48" pipes. He charged me $800 for a new one and $400 for the other one that he had used temporarily on another job. So I don't know how the price for a metal pipe compares with this.

/ Colvert??? #42  
I just added 12' to one end and 8' to the other end of my driveway colvert. It is a 12" metal one. I got a 20ft. new pipe and just cut it with a sawzall (very easy to do!). Got two collers to mate the ends up and put a fan flange on the inlet side. This was covered with crusher run and then with topsoil. I did this so that the water would not run along the side of the colvert, and when freezing not heave the colvert onto my newly paved driveway. I hope it does the trick. The new colvert was $113.00 and the two collers were $6.00 each and the flange was $48.00. If it works it was money well spent.

Von