combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm?

/ combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #1  

jm96

Tractor
kubota m59
Wondering if its possible to combine aux. hydraulics with a power pack if the psi is the same? For example, the Kubota m59 has a 17gpm aux circuit at ~3000psi I believe. The pto could also presumably run a power pack that generated 20gpm at ~3000psi. Could a flow combiner be used to create 37gpm at 3000psi, and then the return line would be split back to the two different pumps? If so, this would theoretically allow a light mulcher to be run on a FEL if a tractor had aux hydraulics and a PTO power pack

/ combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #2  
An awfully complicated arrangement for little gain in my opinion. While combining the pressure sides might be possible, splitting the return would be even more complicated. If it were my project I would more likely just go with the a larger PTO pump and keep it simple.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #3  
Or….just run the power pack lines to the loader and size it according to the mulcher.

/ combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm?
An awfully complicated arrangement for little gain in my opinion. While combining the pressure sides might be possible, splitting the return would be even more complicated. If it were my project I would more likely just go with the a larger PTO pump and keep it simple.
I see.. I thought a flow divider could be set to evenly or unevenly return flow to two different pumps, but its maybe more complicated than what I've read.

Or….just run the power pack lines to the loader and size it according to the mulcher.
That definitely is the simplest way to do things, but in a scenario where a power pack can only provide 20gpm and an aux circuit can provide 17gpm, flow power is increased by nearly 100% by combining.. if possible of course

/ combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #6  
Get a bigger pump. Why are you limited to 20 GPM?

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
Get a bigger pump. Why are you limited to 20 GPM?
Well with 46 pto hp that appeared to be what I could realistically produce at 3000psi based on the ratings charts from a couple different power packs I looked at. If there are bigger/better options for the pto, then that would be excellent

/ combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #8  
Well with 46 pto hp that appeared to be what I could realistically produce at 3000psi based on the ratings charts from a couple different power packs I looked at. If there are bigger/better options for the pto, then that would be excellent
Fecon (probably others) makes a standard flow mulcher.

/ combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #9  
I don't think this is going to work. It appears you need more tractor to generate that kind of hydraulic horsepower. A quick internet search:

Results:
Calculated hydraulic horsepower when pressure is 3000 PSI
and the flow rate is 37 GPM is:
64.76 Horsepower (rounded to the nearest 100th)

Making matters worse: In-efficiencies of the pumps, need for power to run steering, loader, drivetrain... I'd guess the PTO pump manufacture can help with needed PTO horsepower.

As an aside, you may very well need ABOUT 1 gallon hydrualic reserve capacity for each gpm of flow, and hydraulic fluid cooling.

Last edited:
   / combining power pack and aux hydraulics to up gpm? #10  
Are you sure your tractor is producing 3000 psi? Most tractors i found only make at most 2500 psi