Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them?

/ Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them? #1  

dcyrilc

Tractor
John Deere 2240 MFWD
We had the commercial roll-up fire door at our shop replaced last week and the contractor we used let me have the old door for my barn.

If anyone has experiance with these doors, I have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to purchase more door material and make the door taller?
2) If not, can the door be replaced without having to replace the entire mechinism?
3) How interchangable are the motor drive units? This one is 480V 3Ph.

The door from our shop is 12 ft wide by 10 ft tall. I really need a 12x12 door for the barn. I could extend the rails pretty easy, but need to know if the door can be made taller.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• Apr14_0001.jpg
    Apr14_0001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Apr14_0002.jpg
    Apr14_0002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Apr14_0003.jpg
    Apr14_0003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Apr14_0004.jpg
    Apr14_0004.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 279
   / Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them? #2  
We had the commercial roll-up fire door at our shop replaced last week and the contractor we used let me have the old door for my barn.

If anyone has experiance with these doors, I have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to purchase more door material and make the door taller?
2) If not, can the door be replaced without having to replace the entire mechinism?
3) How interchangable are the motor drive units? This one is 480V 3Ph.

The door from our shop is 12 ft wide by 10 ft tall. I really need a 12x12 door for the barn. I could extend the rails pretty easy, but need to know if the door can be made taller.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Depending on the brand of the door
you should be able to buy more slats to make the door taller most doors have a tag on them with the model and serial number which is what you will need to get the slats...Is it by chance a Wayne Dalton fire door????? As far as the motor goes I think you can swap that out to any voltage motor no problem give the supplier the frame # and other numbers on the motor so they can set you up with the same style different voltage!! :thumbsup:

/ Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them?
Depending on the brand of the door
you should be able to buy more slats to make the door taller most doors have a tag on them with the model and serial number which is what you will need to get the slats...Is it by chance a Wayne Dalton fire door????? As far as the motor goes I think you can swap that out to any voltage motor no problem give the supplier the frame # and other numbers on the motor so they can set you up with the same style different voltage!! :thumbsup:

Any idea where I should look for the tag? I'm guessing on the door itself somewhere?

I currently have the door unrolled. I pulled it out to see if there might have been extra on the roll which would have given me enough height. No such luck. My next trick will be to roll it back up. I'm going to have to tie off the fire release mechinisms and probably have a buddy pull and hold the manual override so I can manually roll it up with the chain.

/ Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them? #4  
Usually the tags are located at the bottom edge somewhere if it's not missing...maybe along the foot piece that seals the bottom!

Usually the tags are located at the bottom edge somewhere if it's not missing...maybe along the foot piece that seals the bottom!

Thanks. I rolled it up from the bottom today so that I could put the tractor back in the shop. I'll unroll it after work tomorrow and see what I can find.

I'll see if I can remember to grab my good camera in the morning and get some better pictures as well.

/ Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them? #6  
Let me know if I can help I can give you a few phone numbers to call if nothing else! If you can't find any numbers figure out if the lsats are flat or curved and how wide they are 2", 3" ...

/ Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them? #7  
Was the guy who replaced it a door tech or just a GC? If it was a door company you could ask them who makes it and if they can get you what you need. If not do you have any overhead door companies around, they may also have some parts laying around.

Let me know if I can help I can give you a few phone numbers to call if nothing else! If you can't find any numbers figure out if the lsats are flat or curved and how wide they are 2", 3" ...

Off the top of my head, I'd say 2", but I'll get measurements and better pictures over the next few days. Hopefully tomorrow, but I can never guarantee anything at 4:30 in the morning. Especially if it requires me to remember something.:laughing:

Was the guy who replaced it a door tech or just a GC? If it was a door company you could ask them who makes it and if they can get you what you need. If not do you have any overhead door companies around, they may also have some parts laying around.

Both. The city hired a GC who used a door company sub for the replacement. I was smart enough to get a card before they left.:thumbsup:

/ Commercial roll-up doors, anyone here install them? #10  
I think that the spool should handel another 2 feet of door but you need to check it out! when installing it if it gets away from you it unrools VERY FAST! Be safe:thumbsup: