Compact 45hp range tractors

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #1  

hrcarver

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 6120, 7200, 7700 - ford 2910, 3000, 7610, 7740 - IH 140(2), Super A - kubota m6040
Sooo many manufacturers and models out there.

Looking for a good compact 40-45 hp mfwd w/ loader. Where to start?

So far looking at the jd 4120 and the kubota l4400. Do not think I'm going hydro, I do 95%+ field work.

A foward/reverse lever on the column would be nice, but I do not even know what that is called? My jd 6120 has one, and it is pretty easy to go foward to reverse with it.

Someone point to comparable models please!!!

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #2  
You are talking about shuttle shift, which is not an HST. HST is best for loader, snow plowing, and mowing around a lot of obstacles. Manual trannies included shuttles are better for straight out pulling or constant speed stuff. HST's lose a little HP to the tranny.

Just about everyone is making a good tractor. JD, Kubota, NH, MF, Kioti, Bobcat, Mahindra, TYM, etc. You'll probably pay a bit more for one from the first 4 manufacturers. I really like the MF 1600 series. Save some with the other makers. They are all good, if supported by a good dealer. Each have their pluses and minuses, depending on intended use. If mostly doing field mowing, you might not even need 4WD, this lets you get into utility grade machines for about the same money.

/ Compact 45hp range tractors
I do a fair amount of pulling too, thought 4x4 would be better for discing land and getting out of the occasional wet areas the landowner forgot to mention.

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #4  
What do you use your 6120 for or are you getting rid of it?

A JD 4120 is more comparable to a Kubota L3940. The 4120 has a few things
that the L4400 doesn't and the L3940 has a few things that the 4120 doesn't.

The forward/reverse lever is normally called a Power Reverser, our CaseIH
5140 has one but we always come to stop before shifting into the other direction.

How many acres of field do you work?

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #5  
Hi. If you have a Massey dealer near you have a look at the 1643, 43 HP. Nice well equiped tractor I have one and likes it very much B U T ....
Make a list of what YOU NEED , what YOU would like and if a tractor gives you more for your money then it is a plus...BUT DO A SEAT TEST, try some and compare well, it is the only way. What I like is not what YOU like....look at the specs, hydraulic flow, loader specs etc...Good luck ( it would be so easy to spend YOUR money :laughing:) Have a nice day ( and nights of thinking) :D

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #6  
I have a Cub Cadet 8454 which is a Kioti DK 45 painted yellow and white. Has FEL, 4wd, 45HP that I like a lot. Cub no longer sells the re-painted Kioti, but the kioti has the specs you mentioned.

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #7  
I have had a JD 4120 for 5 years and it has been very good. No issues at all and I have never felt a need for more power even running a 6 ft bush-hog thru fairly heavy stuff. Make sure you get loaded R1 tires for field/loader work. The 400X loader has been great also and it is real nice for getting you out of mud holes while discing if you get in a little too deep. I use a 8 ft pull-type disc on it now which is grossly undersized for this tractor. It could probably handle a 12 footer ok. You will really like the power reverser for fieldwork, much better suited than a hydro for doing that. I recommend open station with a good canopy rather than a cabbed model. I would also recommend the telescoping lower link end and heavy duty bucket options if you go with a 4120 JD.

/ Compact 45hp range tractors
What do you use your 6120 for or are you getting rid of it?

A JD 4120 is more comparable to a Kubota L3940. The 4120 has a few things
that the L4400 doesn't and the L3940 has a few things that the 4120 doesn't.

The forward/reverse lever is normally called a Power Reverser, our CaseIH
5140 has one but we always come to stop before shifting into the other direction.

How many acres of field do you work?

The 6120 is my primary turf tractor. Mostly for grass mowing with a 15' finishing mower, pulling out irrigation reels, and spraying. It is set up with flotation turf tires, 2wd, no loader. I have a small 60 acre turf farm.

Aside from the turf farm, 45 acres of tobacco, 60 acres wheat, 125 acres of soybeans.

The purpose of this tractor is for a small food plot development business that I recently started during the slump in the construction. Grass sales were off a good 75-80% from 2 years ago, now coming back VERY slowly.

Need something I can quickly load up and run 50 miles with, but be big enough to pull and pick up a 8' 1000 lb 3pt disc, and a 1500 lb cultipacker. The only compact tractors I have are a old ford 3000 and a ford 2910 w/loader. I was thinking about upgrading one of them about 30 years(not that they need it, the 3000 has over 6500 hrs on it). Most fields for this tractor will be less than 5 acres.

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #9  
Check out the Bobcat tractors..Look at the CT440SST (41hp) CT445SST (45hp) or the CT450SST (50hp).
They have some REALLY GOOD DEALS going on right now!!!

/ Compact 45hp range tractors #10  
I would consider a Deere 5055E for this work with 16.9-28 R1 rears and 9.5-24 R1 front tires 4x4, 3000# 3pt hitch capacity, tractor weighs about 5000#'s OS. MSRP before discounts about $24,000. This is a gear tranny tractor with good floatation tires capable of pulling well yet at the lower cost end of the spectrum. It will out pull the 4000 series machines.

The 4320 through 4720 with power reverser or ehydro and R1 tires will all do what you want to do too. These tractors will require full ballast loads and will weigh about the same as the above mentioned 5055E. These tractors will be more manueverable and easier to operate in close quarters and be more feature laden. More expensive too, about $25,000 to $28,000 MSRP. These 4X20 series are more compact in physical size and are easy to trailer and that is one of the reasons I choose them.

I move transport my 110tlb and 4520 constantly doing landscape work and custom tractor work in mostly small properties of 20 acres or less. The 110 does all the fel and backhoe work and can be used for 3pt work if really needed while the 4520 cab tractor without a fel is used for most of the 3pt work. For compact tractors being transported constantly I have found that using a large tiller is better than a disk. I also have a 3pt S tine field cultivator that can loosen the ground up a few inches deep rather quickly. I would think a Deere 681 rear tiller with shoes set at 4 inches depth could be pulled behind the 4520 about 2.5 mph max ground speed and would be good enough for a food plot in one pass. A tiller allows you to make good use of the higher hp but light weight compact tractors.

Any of these tractors will handle the cultipacker with no problem.

If you are really set on the disk and cultipacker only and want to go as cheap as possible I would consider the 5045E or 5055E.