Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #41  
So what brand would you recommend?

I'd echo TripleR's comment, and not try to pick a particular brand for you. I would just say that it would be worth it to consider companies like Kioti or LS as you do your research. $20k gets you a lot of tractor from those two companies.

In reality, the 30-50hp compact tractor market is extremely competitive, and you'd probably have to work to find one that wouldn't do what you need done.

I cornered the mechanic at my dealer, while the salesman was taking a phone call, and asked him what his opinion was, considering he's been there for years, and they deal with a number of brands. He said "LS makes me feel like the Maytag repairman. I check them when they come off the truck, and normally never see them again." That was pretty comforting to hear!

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #42  
I would opt for a utility 50 HP Front Wheel Assist all day over a 30-40 HP compact if weight was not an issue...
I finish mow my lawn with a 28 HP compact that weighs 3300# with loaded rears...
With the added FEL I am tipping the scales @ 3900#...
I would not want more weight than that if I was going to do finish mowing...
Just my personal preference...

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #43  
Although GManBart suggests buying a major brand is a costly mistake because quote: "Buying from NH would have cost me $8000 more...." I have to wonder what brand he purchased and just how far he has to travel for parts and service. Having a JD or Kubota dealer nearby is a HUGE plus if you are a novice to tractor ownership.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "costly mistake", but I would say there are viable, less expensive alternatives, in many cases.

I bought an LS (listed under my avatar), and the dealer is 20mi away. The closest NH dealer is something 75mi away, so it would have made even less sense. I have a Deere dealer 15-20mi away, but I still didn't want to spend $30k for the equivalent machine. I have a Case/IH/Kubota dealer even closer, but again, the price difference was ridiculous for equal capability. For most of us, any slight difference in quality, if it's even there, isn't worth paying 30-50% more....they can't be that much better, and I suspect they aren't really better in most cases.

Is a NH Boomer 50 any better than my LS? No, it's absolutely identical, so you're paying more for the name. Is there any realistic chance that the other major brands have their pricing and business expenses so radically different from NH that they can offer a better product than NH can, for the same money? Not likely. If thats even close to being accurate, it means you're mostly paying for the name with the big brands...the math just works out that way. If there was a tractor of equal capability made in the U.S. that was within a couple of grand, I would have bought it. Sadly, that creature doesn't exist :(

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #44  
Although GamBar suggests buying a major brand is a costly mistake because quote: "Buying from NH would have cost me $8000 more...." I have to wonder what brand he purchased and just how far he has to travel for parts and service. Having a JD or Kubota dealer nearby is a HUGE plus if you are a novice to tractor ownership.

If the machine is sooo good why would I even need a service department? And the only parts you would need is maintenance parts that you could order online.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #45  
Having a JD or Kubota dealer nearby is a HUGE plus if you are a novice to tractor ownership.

I never understand why people make such a big deal out of the distance to the dealer? You should NOT be needing to go to the dealer on a regular basis. Once or twice a year should be about it, unless of course, you just like looking around.

I can see the importance of a dealer if you rely on your tractor to make a living, and downtime costs money, but for most of us, that is not the case.

I've owned my tractor 3 years now, and my father had a few before I bought this one, and out of all of them, we only brought the tractor to the dealership one time, and that was because I wanted to get my rear tires filled. I didn't even buy it from the place I brought it to.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #46  
"Nearby" is probably a relative term, I think there was a thread on here about how close a dealer should be. Mine is about forty miles away and I consider that nearby. I have one eighteen miles away, but they barely know how to get to work let alone anything about tractors.

Many of us do our own maintenance, but my dealer keeps busy doing maintenance on tractors and equipment customers won't or can't do. I bought a used L5030 owned by a man who had the dealer come pick his RTV, tractor, and mower once a year to do the service as he averaged one hundred hours per year. For many new owners, a close by dealer is a comfortable security blanket as vehicle maintenance is becoming less and less a common skill. I grew up doing all maintenance on tractors, trucks and cars, but most of my friends are clueless as to how this is done.

For an increasing number of us, maintenance is becoming increasingly difficult, my son is taking on more and more of our maintenance work and will soon do it all, not everyone has this kind of help. I notice a lot of people buying tractors when they retire, so age and inexperience with tractors can well be a factor in wanting close dealers.

I use to view cab tractors as being kind useless and didn't really understand why my father in law bought one, NOW I understand.:laughing:

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #47  
If the machine is sooo good why would I even need a service department? And the only parts you would need is maintenance parts that you could order online.

Has OP said in any way that he is going to do his own maintenance? I may be an oddball here, but I ALWAYS buy my maintenance parts at a local dealership, sure I can save a few bucks by ordering them online BUT I WANT TO SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES more than I want to save the few dollars.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #48  
Has OP said in any way that he is going to do his own maintenance? I may be an oddball here, but I ALWAYS buy my maintenance parts at a local dealership, sure I can save a few bucks by ordering them online BUT I WANT TO SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES more than I want to save the few dollars.

Op did not say he won't either. It is good you support local biz but enough shouting.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor?
No, I do not anticipate doing my own maintenance. That's why close dealers are important to me. I enjoy maintenance work, but have no time to do it.

/ Compact 4wd v. Larger 2wd utility tractor? #50  
No, I do not anticipate doing my own maintenance. That's why close dealers are important to me. I enjoy maintenance work, but have no time to do it.

Well as JD said, best find something close then