Compact TLB choices?

/ Compact TLB choices? #1  

SnoFalls

Silver Member
I've been doing a bunch of research, determining my true needs (now and future), conversing with friends, etc

Pretty sure, a "hardy", yet compact, TLB will fit me best
* Will be doing some light earthwork (grading, cut/fill)
* some "brush" work (a few stumps, creating logging brush burn piles, storm cleanup)
* driveway/road maintenance (grading, maybe some ditching/culverts).
* I have no "mowing" needs (or tilling, or seeding, etc)

I've narrowed it down to
Orange - L39 ... the savings over green get this in the lead.
Green - 110LTB ... little bit pricy for me, but family has always gone JD.
Orange - L35 ... could save good $ going used here (if I can find one).

I don't seem to see a "competitive" model from blue (NH) or red (MF) makes tho?
What am I missing?
(or do they just not try to get in this space).

I did see a white (bobcat) entry that may be worth checking out.

Anything perhaps from cat or ???

/ Compact TLB choices? #2  
the bobcat is a relabled earth works machine. As I recall it does not spec to bad, but its not a very polished product next to a deere or kubota. L35's are long gone on the new market, used you can find them but they are usually beat pretty hard. You'll have a hard time finding anyone with serious marks against the L39, Kubota did a really nice job with that machine.

/ Compact TLB choices? #3  
BTW... you can setup a NH or other tractor as a TLB... they are just not sold as a package like these models are. They will price out somewhat cheaper as they are not make to take the daily abuse that these tractors are. Either would be at home in a rental yard on construction fleet.

/ Compact TLB choices? #4  
As Messick has pointed out, for the work you have described, you don't need to go with a fixed TLB but could use any number of tractors plus FEL plus BH combos to acheive the same end. I suspect the "true" TLBs are best for full time construction work but that doesn't seem to be your intended use. I am very happy with a small tractor based "TLB" and I paid a lot less than any of the models you are looking at. Photo attached.

Attachments

• 805261-IMG_5936 (594 x 396).jpg
    805261-IMG_5936 (594 x 396).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 348
   / Compact TLB choices?
I may not be doing full time construction work, but ....

from what I've tried to research, the specs of a CUT with BH and FEL at ~40hp gets into the range of the "dedicated" LTB's I mentioned (note both can easily detach the BH for 3ph work). I do give up a MMM option, but *I* don't need that, so no biggy to *me*.

Show me a "for example" of a <insert model here> CUT with BH and FEL that costs less than the L39/110 LTB on price but matches specs and I'd be *happy* to consider it ...

/ Compact TLB choices?
BTW, ... I started this thread to try to explain what I consider "light work" ... (the ex200 did lotsa the heavy stuff, but I still have a couple of 18-24" stumps to extract ... 100 or so yds of cut here, fill there ... 40' brush piles to pluck off for burns ... etc).

To me that's "light" ... perhpas more suited for a JD310 when paying by the hour, but not when you're owner/operator.

/ Compact TLB choices? #7  
You get get a Kubota 5030 with loader and hoe or John Deere 4720 with loader and hoe for around the same or less than the two machines you listed. They will spec out better in some instances, but not as well in other instances. Just depends on what you see yourself using the machine for. I personally really like the L39 with GST transmission for a true TLB. Just a nice solid all around machine. But the 5030 and 4720 in my mind are a more versitile machine.

/ Compact TLB choices?
well see ... I started down that road ... (actually considering a JD3x20 till a buddy who's seen my tasks slapped me and said no friggin way).

For example, (just "base" models here at "street" prices)
JD4120 + BH + FEL ... 32K?
JD110LTB ... 42K?

Differences ??? same HP, FEL ... about equal (perhaps an edge to the 400x), I expect a significant edge here for the 110 (no specs for the 448 BH?)

Real world reports ... the 110 will outperform the 4120 day in day out. So, you pay the $10k price difference for "daily duty" quality.

Now enter the L39 ... (say street $36K)
Dang near the same "daily duty" performance as a JD110, but nearly the same price as a similarly equipped 4120 ... I give up 4HP, but in every other respects, it matches a 110LTB.

Do I *need* "daily duty" capabilities? Perhaps not, But I do know I'm likely to have jobs that push the limits. That extra "touch" of strength here, or capacity there, is worth 10%. Breakage is expensive!

Disclaimer, I was going to buy green (err yellow JD) till a buddy (who runs littlish size TLB's regularly, but not 8hr/day) said check out orange ...

/ Compact TLB choices? #9  
Well, for the price of an L39, I think you would be hard pressed topping that. Maybe look for a used L48 if you think you would be pushing the capabilities of these machines.

Just an FYI(it's a long way from where you live) but Carver Equiment has a used L48 for:

2004, L48 hst TLB, ser# 60480, 560 hr at $25,999.

Might give you an idea of what is out their in the used realm.

/ Compact TLB choices? #10  
I guess I am having trouble understanding the extent of the work you are planning. You have 5 acres. If it needs to be done all at once it would make more sense to hire in a professional crew to do it. If you have time, then it still seems to me that a smaller than 40hp tractor based TLB could do the job. Lots of guys are doing the type of thing you are with 30hp and lower tractor TLBs. There are a number of set ups costing in the 20-25K range from Kubota, Kioti, JD, MF etc that could do the trick. Add a grapple set up and brush hog and arguably you would work even faster than with a dedicated TLB. You don't need a 40hp TLB to dig out a few 24 inch stumps. I can do it with my 20hp tractor/bh. I have created 40ft brush piles too(wouldn't want to move them without a grapple though).