Compact TLB choices?

/ Compact TLB choices? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You get get a Kubota 5030 with loader and hoe or John Deere 4720 with loader and hoe for around the same or less than the two machines you listed. They will spec out better in some instances, but not as well in other instances. )</font>
The JD 110, L 39 and L48 have three pumps, one dedicated to hoe. 5030/4720 have only two pumps.. This, is the major difference between them all

/ Compact TLB choices? #12  
The L-39 is one mean compact machine, very powerful and very fuel efficient. The BH is to die for and the FEL ain't shabby either. No problems to list here after 280 hours of very hard work clocked on ours, it just keeps on ticking after taking a licking. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 805413-Kubota Space_Alien2.jpg
    805413-Kubota Space_Alien2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 175
   / Compact TLB choices? #13  
One consideration for me would be seating. It seems that every time you need to change the position of the backhoe, like in trenching, getting up and down off the tractor (twice) would get old with a two seater. Getting a flat bottom on a trench requires using only a short pecentage of the backhoe's reach. Someone here could chime in on a compact but it may be only 3 or 4 feet? With a dedicated TLB, you can swivel the seat around to move, or move the TLB with the hoe if you can reach the loader from the seat.

If your decision becomes a toss-up, look at resale value too.

John

/ Compact TLB choices? #14  
Since you're considering used and new, why not something like a decent used Case 580 or Cat 416/420 with a 4n1 bucket, maybe even an extendahoe, 4wd and a cab /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Would handle everything you've listed plus some. If you're determined to stay within the CUT category I wouldn't rule out a DK series Kioti.

/ Compact TLB choices? #15  
Your productivity with the backhoe should weigh heavily on what type of tractor would be right for your needs. If you are going to be doing a lot of trenching and/or need to reposition often when trying to break roots and pull out stumps, then this is at least where the JD 110 really shines.

While you are running the hoe, you lift the stabilizers and front bucket while seated, use the side dash mounted rocker switch to drive the tractor forward or back, put everything back down and get back to work. You can also reach the steering wheel if you need to come back in at a stump at a different angle using the rocker switch. Very quick and handy.

On the other hand, were you to use the 3pt mounted hoes with its own seat, this entire process takes a lot longer as you may not be able to reach everything from the back to maneuver like the above scenario and would require getting down and driving the tractor and then getting back on the hoe.

Also, the main advantage to the TLBs is going to be that most of its HP will be dedicated to the hydraulic pumps, where the other compacts will put more emphasis on the PTO. This again equates to a huge time savings as the loader and hoe will cycle much, much faster as well as be stronger and lift more since they are built tougher.

/ Compact TLB choices? #16  
IMO, the JD 110 still leaves things to be desired. Like the flip seat thing. There is quite a bit of archived info on TBN about the 110. Look for user's TAGS and Bushy. User Chalkey has a ton of info. on the earth force (IR / bobcat) also.

/ Compact TLB choices? #17  
<font color="blue"> The JD 110, L 39 and L48 have three pumps, one dedicated to hoe. 5030/4720 have only two pumps.. This, is the major difference between them all </font>

The extra pump runs the swing on the backhoe which can be handy when your working the dipper/boom and/or bucket cylinders at the same time. Other then that, having more pumps isn't always a distinct advantage. Typically most machines in these sizes have at least two pumps, one soley for the steering and the other for all other hydraulic needs.

To the poster, realize that getting a dedicated TLB is really a nice way to go when you have significant amounts of hoe work to do. If you do not, your paying a lot of extra money for that anchor hanging off the back reducing your ground clearance, your mobility, visibility and the speed at which you may want to add or subtract implements. The other thing a TLB will have which may or may not be a bonus is a permanaently attached loader. It tends to be more solid, but it also will inhibit those who need to mow or work tight quarters. It sounds as though your needs don't need a detachable loader. That was the number reason why I sold my Kubota L48. I never realized just how encumbering that loader was for mowing and tight work with the box scraper.

/ Compact TLB choices?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess I am having trouble understanding the extent of the work you are planning.)</font>
Yes, it is hard to convey in a few random pics ... When I get a chance I'll get some "before earthworking" pics done ...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You have 5 acres. If it needs to be done all at once it would make more sense to hire in a professional crew to do it. If you have time, then it still seems to me that a smaller than 40hp tractor based TLB could do the job. )</font>
I fully understand. I have considered both hiring it out ... one contractor that came out to bid on my lumber said it would be a challenge to do what I wanted. The tight quarters for some of the work would mean larger stuff (he mentioned a d6 for doing the cut/fill) would be difficult, but his smaller stuff would take longer (driving up the cost).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Lots of guys are doing the type of thing you are with 30hp and lower tractor TLBs. There are a number of set ups costing in the 20-25K range from Kubota, Kioti, JD, MF etc that could do the trick. Add a grapple set up and brush hog and arguably you would work even faster than with a dedicated TLB. You don't need a 40hp TLB to dig out a few 24 inch stumps. I can do it with my 20hp tractor/bh. I have created 40ft brush piles too(wouldn't want to move them without a grapple though). )</font>
I understand that a smaller tractor could probably get it done. Some things might be more difficult (shorter BH can't reach as far down a ravine, smaller bites with the bucket, etc). So, it might take a little bit longer, not a big deal with what I pay myself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I also don't wanna short change myself on capabilities (needed now or in the future). 35HP-40HP is a nice compromise for *me* ...

Of course there are "intangilbles" that make each individuals decisions here too (sometimes that can be color /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) ... the 1 seat 2 seat thing for example. I prefer a single ... others may prefer both ...

It'll be 2-3 months before I've purchased whatever I end up with, so I appreciate the feedback.

/ Compact TLB choices? #19  
Regardless of what size tractor/TLB you end up getting, I think you would be wise to budget $2000-$2500 for a dedicated root grapple and diverter valve. Given what I understand about your tasks, brush movement will actually take more time than the occasional stump removal. If the BH is worth $5-7K to you then a good grapple set up is definitely worth more than $2K for land clearing. Check out WR Long and others.