Compact TLB choices?

/ Compact TLB choices?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Since you're considering used and new, why not something like a decent used Case 580 or Cat 416/420 with a 4n1 bucket, maybe even an extendahoe, 4wd and a cab /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Would handle everything you've listed plus some. If you're determined to stay within the CUT category I wouldn't rule out a DK series Kioti. )</font>

Primary reason is ... I will wanna unmount the hoe for boxblade work on occasion.

I grew up with an old ('57 vntage?) Balmar TLB still being used to this day to help a friend of the family build his cabin on the Kenai. I expect it could be mine in a year or so if I wanted, but transport from AK isn't feasible (and I already have enough "antiques" around /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

Kioti will be getting a looksee too ... a dealer is pretty close and seems like good folks to deal with.

/ Compact TLB choices? #22  
Here is another consideration:
I've owned some case 580's before that were purchased with quite a few hours on them. Had an older one where the hoe would remove and it had a pto and three point hitch. Also had a 580e extendahoe and also a 580k. You can usually get one with high hours but still in decent shape for around 18-20k. These would easily outperform any of the newer smaller hoe's you are considering. With the difference you could get a new kubota L series or Jd 30 series with a back blade. Do all you need with the larger hoe and sell it for mostly what you paid for it. That would leave you with the regular tractor that has been lightly used.

Just another option for you to consider.

/ Compact TLB choices? #23  
The Bobcat is a nice machine. I have used the L35 and the Bobcat equivilant(rentals). The Bobcat hoe controls were much smoother than the L35. Fit and finish, controls ect were excellent. My own tractor is an older Kubota B series...

One nice thing about the Bobcat B250 I used was the 4-wheel steer. I had to manuever in to tight places where the L35 wouldn't get to( returned the L35 and brought up the Bobcat to finish the job).

The Bobcat also has complete compatibility for skid steer attachments on the loader. You could put a grapple on it, 4-in-1 bucket, jackhammer/breaker, practically any of the skidsteer atachments.

One thing I did note, is the Bobcat B250 ground speed is slow. Pop the L35 into a higher gear and it easily pulled away from it.

I have since used the L35 a few more times(rental yard is closer than Bobcat). I really do like them. The Bobcat was pretty sweet in its own right though too...

/ Compact TLB choices? #24  
i have a bobcat B300. i love it. tried all the tlb's you have mentioned and liked the bobcat. the B300 does have 2 speeds so it will run faster than the B250. mine goes as fast as i care to ride it. one of the nicer aspects of the bobcat is shifting from front to back. you don't have to get off the seat, just pull a lever and spin. plenty of room. you can also find the occasional used one in the low 20's. i think there is one on machinerytrader now. i also have a box blade that i attach on the front of the machine. works just fine. the ability to run many skid steer attachments is nice also. i suggest you check them out.
ggod luck,
metin

/ Compact TLB choices?
With the feedback here, I've pretty much ruled out the purpose build TLB (aka L39) and will go with a built up CUT with a back hoe ...

I think it's up to the Kubota GL3130 and the JD 3120 (or perhaps a Kubota GL3830 and JD 3720) ...

Went looking at the Kubotas (at a couple of dealers) over the weekend, and will do JD next I think.

/ Compact TLB choices? #26  
Ifyou are going to completely outfit a Kubota CUT to do the work of an L-39TLB or L-48 TLB, don't get a 3130.

Get at least the 4 cylinder engine with additional hydraulic pump capacity, probably a L4330 or more. And get an LA853 FEL.

/ Compact TLB choices?
yup, a 4330 with the better FEL would be more in line with the L39, but $$$ ...

I'm pretty certain the 723 FEL will do what I need and so the 3cyl kubotas are probably how I'll go (and like I said, the JD equivalent is in the running).

I'm trying to balance ...
what I can afford
what will do the initial work
what will not be too big for the "rest"

Not sure if I explained it, but much of the "earth work" is in tight circumstances (lotsa slopes, short turning areas, TREES, etc). A bigger machine could be rented and get the job done, but would be really hard to work around the limitations of the site. A CUT is the nice fit, even if I have to take smaller bites.

/ Compact TLB choices? #28  
have u looked at allmand bros, these TLB's HAVE proformed will in the rental fleet. customers would use this peice and than ask why u don't hear about them. the company only trys to sell 2 rental store's. they r also know for there light towers. check out the TLB 535 COMPARE THE SPECS