Compact Track Loader

/ Compact Track Loader #31  
(My Brother) just retired from our home County land works division. He's a triple ASE Certified Heavy Diesel Mechanic and Heavy Equipment Operator with over 30 years of fleet maintenance experience.
You say your brother is the above, and then you come here to ask your questions???

Why isn't your brother looking the options over, and then making the choice based on HIS experience?? He is "by far" the guy to be making the decision!

SR

/ Compact Track Loader
You say your brother is the above, and then you come here to ask your questions???

Why isn't your brother looking the options over, and then making the choice based on HIS experience?? He is "by far" the guy to be making the decision!

SR
He is leaning heavy for me to get a CAT 299D3. Or, a Deere... I'm the one spending the cash... he just LOVES to spend my cash. ;)

I always like to hear other people's personal experience. But, yes, my brother is definitely a CAT guy. Since he repairs them at work, he knows them in and out.

/ Compact Track Loader #33  
Your brother will ALSO be the guy that will be servicing and repairing it!

Do you want him to be learning on the job, bitching because it's not something he used to, or do you want him to be working on something he likes and knows???

SR

/ Compact Track Loader #34  
Your brother will ALSO be the guy that will be servicing and repairing it!

Do you want him to be learning on the job, bitching because it's not something he used to, or do you want him to be working on something he likes and knows???

SR

For the $20,000 premium a cat 299 cost over a 97 kubota I could listen to a lot of whining.

/ Compact Track Loader #36  
You get it back in resale and service down the road!

SR

I’ve got 2 Cats but Kubota offers a hard to beat deal in a skid steer and mini excavator. And I’m sure his brother could figure out how to work on a Kubota.

Attachments

• IMG_7054.JPG
    IMG_7054.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
   / Compact Track Loader #37  
I would avoid first model years of anything because it takes time to work out the kinks.

Every machine has it's strengths and weaknesses. Your best bet is to demo/try/rent each machine to see what works for you.

Things I look for:
1. Operator comfort - need a quiet cab, ease of access, ease of escape in emergency - how do you get out when the machine dies and the loader boom is blocking the door and the engine compartment has caught on fire? How accessible are all the grease points? Refueling? DEF port?
2. Visibility - CTL/SS have poor visibility as a rule as you are sitting inside a milk crate. How good are the cameras? Are controls sensibly placed?
3. Fuel economy - this is a big issue for me, I dislike operating fuel guzzlers and equipment that needs lots of DEF to keep running
4. Hydraulics - MUST HAVE LOAD/RIDE CONTROL (aka accumulator) and high flow remote hydraulics
5. Reliability- harder to assess this one
6. Service - Machine has to be easily serviceable, ie. how hard/easy is it to clean engine screens, you NEED to have support from the vendor and on-site service when your machine goes DOA somewhere in the back forty
7. Engine - what are the service intervals? Cost of consumables like filters etc? How hard is it to clean radiator grills, engine cooling screens? Does the engine have automatic reversing fan blades to keep crud out of the radiators?