Compact Track Loader

/ Compact Track Loader #11  
I paid $185 hr for forestry mulching. Seemed like a lot until I saw that he could do more in 30 minutes than I can do in a week with a tractor, chainsaw and grapple. After I saw how much he could get done in a few minutes, I paid him to clear some additional areas figuring it saved me a huge amount of work. There were some thorn trees growing in one place--he ground them to pieces in a few minutes.

That being said, there's a substantial investment required to buy the mulching head. I forget how many teeth and tracks they said they'd replaced. They also have to take the belly pan off twice a year to clean out debris. I suspect mulching is harder on the CTL than a heavy duty brush cutter which can also do a lot so long as one doesn't expect to mulch 6" trees with it.

If your friend can't find work for his machine, I suspect his customers may not understand how productive forestry mulching can be compared to trying to clear property with a chainsaw and then having to find a place for all the brush. It could be that he could get more work if he can show his customers that he can do things they practically can't and get it done faster.

/ Compact Track Loader #13  
If your friend can't find work for his machine, I suspect his customers may not understand how productive forestry mulching can be compared to trying to clear property with a chainsaw and then having to find a place for all the brush. It could be that he could get more work if he can show his customers that he can do things they practically can't and get it done faster.
No kidding! I have a guy that cleared out some underbrush on the back part of a lot I have in town. It would have taken me a year to clean out what he did in 4 hours. And, like you said, if I was doing it where would I have burned the brush in town? Couldn't. Would have had to make many many trips to the dump to get rid of it. That cost saved alone paid for the CTL clearing.

/ Compact Track Loader
I will most likely buy a mulching head in the future. You are correct saying that they can do more in 4 hours than I could in two weeks with a chain, chainsaw and grapple on my tractor. Once I start getting out there more, that's the plan.

Been doing a ton of research on the topic, watching the YouTube channels that cover this, but in my area of South Carolina, there just does not seem to be a huge market for it. However, I must say, I have not been out there actively pursuing it. Finding a mulching head to "rent" is almost impossible.

I spent a lot of time speaking with Jason (Pasco-Hernando Land Services, LLC) out of Florida. He has an ASV RT75 with a 60" FECON mulching head. He was very open with me, even showed me his equipment in person. He told me that he could do more work with his mini excavator and dump trailer, than he could with his mulcher. By that, he meant, sourcing more jobs. Also, those who are successful with the smaller mulchers, also have other avenues for income. Using the mini-ex to "pop trees" / root balls, and then haul off in the dump trailer, seems to be the way to go. I can say, my 55 hp Mahindra is strong, but NOTHING like that CAT 289D... Once I started getting seat time in the CTL with different attachments, I knew I had to have one.

I can rent mini-excavators with a thumb, easy locally. Owning a CTL, then getting all the attachments are first on the list.

As always, thank you all so much for the input.

I'm building this airplane whilst in flight!

Cheers,

Darren

/ Compact Track Loader #15  
Mine is a 74 hp Case 8800 lb machine. It’s been fine for personal use. The earlier machines had harness issues from what I have seen but that’s been fixed. New Holland sells essentially the same machine wit different paint and graphics.

It replaced a Deere wheeled skid steer.

The Kioti dealer said he would be carrying the Kioti machines, but I haven’t seen them yet

/ Compact Track Loader #16  
Good Day Everyone,

Should I continue to rent for each job? Or is buying outright and having our business own it more of the way to go. So far, the local equipment rental company has been awesome. I just want to get this done right the first time. I know brand loyalty IS a thing, I just want to spend my money the right way. So far, CAT and TAKEUCHI have my interest, but I am also interested in the new Kioti.

Probably a can of worms here, but I look forward to those more experienced than me, providing much needed input.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Darren
I’d start by talking with my CPA to explore the difference between owning vs. leasing. one really nice thing about rentals, when it breaks you call them up and say “it’s broken, send someone out or bring me another one”.

/ Compact Track Loader #17  
I bought a Kubota SVL 75-2 for my business that I started when I retired, I looked at JD, Cat and Kubota, price on the Kubota was about 18-20k less than the others, the overhead door was a must for me as I work by myself and need to be able to get in and out of the cab with the loader arms in any position ( something you can't do with the other two ) and lastly the simplicity of the Kubota, it's simple not a ton of bells and whistles but it's made to work, so far mine has been flawless, use it mostly for forestry mowing and grapple work and a little limerock/driveway work. Good luck on whatever you decide. Charlie.

/ Compact Track Loader
I bought a Kubota SVL 75-2 for my business that I started when I retired, I looked at JD, Cat and Kubota, price on the Kubota was about 18-20k less than the others, the overhead door was a must for me as I work by myself and need to be able to get in and out of the cab with the loader arms in any position ( something you can't do with the other two ) and lastly the simplicity of the Kubota, it's simple not a ton of bells and whistles but it's made to work, so far mine has been flawless, use it mostly for forestry mowing and grapple work and a little limerock/driveway work. Good luck on whatever you decide. Charlie.
Thanks for the input Charlie... I grew up in Alachua, FL... so I know LaCrosse very well! Definitely looking at Kubota!

/ Compact Track Loader #19  
Thanks for the input Charlie... I grew up in Alachua, FL... so I know LaCrosse very well! Definitely looking at Kubota!
Small world, I was born and raised here graduated SFHS in 1986 , let me know if I can answer any questions for you about the Kubota.

/ Compact Track Loader
Small world, I was born and raised here graduated SFHS in 1986 , let me know if I can answer any questions for you about the Kubota.
I graduated from SFHS in '87, went directly to the Army... just retired this past March 1st. VERY small world!

I'm looking at the SVL75-2 or -3.