compact tractor with dual rear tires

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires
Thanks everyone i beleive it is a bad idea now to get doubles. I will probley just try some R1 next year. I didnt even think about the bad things that could happen if my axils are not strong enough for the extra strain. My R4 are just slick enough to get me into trouble but if i stay on flat ground they could last several more years.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #13  
Chains would help for sure. I wonder if there are deeper inside rim dish available for this tractor? The R1 rims set out wider than the R1 rims at least the ones that I have seen.

Thanks everyone i beleive it is a bad idea now to get doubles. I will probley just try some R1 next year. I didnt even think about the bad things that could happen if my axils are not strong enough for the extra strain. My R4 are just slick enough to get me into trouble but if i stay on flat ground they could last several more years.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #17  
Looks like you can "flip" your inner rim once more for a wider stance. I agree with the R-1 and rimguard or some sort of ballast idea. Spendy, but not as much as new dual set-up with rims and tires, less stress on axles too. R-1s will provide better traction wet or dry....look up R-1 vs. R-4 with the search tool....

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #18  
The original poster was primarily concerned with mowing steep hillsides, not traction.

In my very cheap opinion, the R4 tires loaded will give MUCH more stability than loaded R1 tires. They hold more fluid and are wider. The OP would need new rims for R1's, big $...to me anyway.

I'd load the R4's with windshield wiper fluid, be sure the rims are at the widest position. Then try the slopes again. If you're mowing with a FEL on the machine, try taking it off and putting some low weight on the front. I've never seen wheel weights for R4 tires, but you may be able to make some with quick crete and some threaded rod.

Once you load the tires you'll notice a BIG difference in stability. I was amazed. My machine is about the same size as yours and I feel MUCH safer on it with loaded rear tires.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires
Im going to get some wheel spacers made at a machine shop just like the ones found on the web site L3650 posted. I going to increase my tractors width from 6' to 7' by adding 6" to each back wheel. Im only going to do this to the back tires not the front, this will mean that the back tires wont roll in the same track as the front tires. im not shure if this will be a good thing or a bad one. and later if needed i will widen the front to match.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #20  
Widening the rears won't keep you from sliding much more, but they'll keep you from flipping over. Maybe that's your worry, flipping, not sliding. Getting the rears out of the fronts tracks might help a tad. Maybe you could fill the tires 1/2 way to keep the weight low in the tire, too.

I think a new set of "sharp" tires also increases traction. I think R-1's are better for sideways slide because of the taller tread paddles and the sharper angle they have on their tread pattern, but I don't want to cause trouble.

Last edited: