compact tractor with dual rear tires

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #21  
Just a thought...think about getting a sickle mower for the steep banks...maybe pick up a good used on cheap. Might be easier and would help if you do any pond or lake banks too.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #22  
hillside+on wet grass+ R-4= sliding
Wet grassy hillside+narrow stance+any tire=sliding and/or roll over
wider stance+R-4+ballast+Wet grassy hillside= Still sliding but with minimized tipping
Tire ment for traction "R-1"+ballast+wider stance+Wet grassy hillside= minimized sliding along with minimized tipping

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #23  
R1's will rut a lot worse. There are other options for side mowing, but maybe too big for your tractor (sickle bar is simplest and not much money).

But -- how bad do you need to mow a hillside? Would goats/sheep/cattle and even just planting a few pounds of wild flower seeds fix the problem? Critters can be fenced in with portable electric fence chargers (fiberglass poles and mesh belts for wire, then battery or battery/solar power). Or just tie up the lead doe/cow. The rest will just hang out. Goats like to eat woody plants, sheep and cattle prefer grassy plants.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires
R1's will rut a lot worse. There are other options for side mowing, but maybe too big for your tractor (sickle bar is simplest and not much money).

But -- how bad do you need to mow a hillside? Would goats/sheep/cattle and even just planting a few pounds of wild flower seeds fix the problem? Critters can be fenced in with portable electric fence chargers (fiberglass poles and mesh belts for wire, then battery or battery/solar power). Or just tie up the lead doe/cow. The rest will just hang out. Goats like to eat woody plants, sheep and cattle prefer grassy plants.

Durring the summer I do contract work with my tractor, The hillsides ive been having trouble with are all on big corporation properties. I guess the word got out around here that I can mow scary hills and im just to stuppid to say no. but ive been working these hill for 5 years now and untill this summer we never had so much rainny weather and it made all my hillsides almost dangerous with soft muddy hills.

Im considering saving some money the next year or two and getting one of those skid stear looking mowers "Power Trac" that can mow 45deg hills but they will cost 40K and im not shure it would be worth the investment money wise but only safty wise.

Well i just wanted to update this old post with my results. I decided to widen my tractor rather than try dual rear tires. I hired a machine shop to build my 6" spacers and this made my tractor 84" wide, since my trailer is only 80" wide i also had to have the fenders removed and modified to slide out to 86" wide. i tooks pictures for anyone who wants to see.
100_1460.jpg

100_1458.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1457.jpg

100_1459.jpg

100_1456.jpg

100_1455.jpg

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #26  
I like them! nice job and it looks like the axel is strong enough to handle the extension. Let us know how they work out.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #27  
My dad had a similar extension set made up for his Ford 1910, but had it for duals with about 3" between the tires. He set the inside tires and wheels in the most narrow position then the extensions went on with longer bolts and the second set of wheels went on so that his total width was about 90".

The extensions you have are already putting as much or possibly even more strain on the axles than what duals would have except in very non typical situations such as the outer edge of both tires bearing all of the weight. With duals the inner tires would put a lot of the bending weight toward the inboard aspect of the axle resulting in a lot less stress vs having it all out on the end now. Hope I am making it at least clear as mud. Those adapters look really well made. Continued good luck with them.

My dad had a similar extension set made up for his Ford 1910, but had it for duals with about 3" between the tires. He set the inside tires and wheels in the most narrow position then the extensions went on with longer bolts and the second set of wheels went on so that his total width was about 90".

The extensions you have are already putting as much or possibly even more strain on the axles than what duals would have except in very non typical situations such as the outer edge of both tires bearing all of the weight. With duals the inner tires would put a lot of the bending weight toward the inboard aspect of the axle resulting in a lot less stress vs having it all out on the end now. Hope I am making it at least clear as mud. Those adapters look really well made. Continued good luck with them.

I understand exactly what you mean. I asked for oppinions from some of the tractor repair shops and the machine shop about this set up first before i went on with this project, All of them felt that the way this tractor is used primarly bush hogging, , so it should be strong enough. I have no front end loader. Any way it to late now ill just try it and see what happens.
Most of the time while im mowing the tractor only supports half the weight of the brush cutter so it only about 300lbs on the 3point hitch so i hope it was built strong enough to handle this additional stress.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #29  
looking at the picture, it seems you can just put the left wheel on the right and vice versa and you will gain a few inches.

/ compact tractor with dual rear tires #30  
I believe I was wrong. good set up. Ben Hur type but where are the spurs?