Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No?

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #11  
I will be purchasing a new CUT soon and am leaning towards adding a backhoe as an implement in my purchase. On my readings from this site I find opinions pro and con regarding CUTs with a backhoe.

I recently ordered a JD 3320 with 300CX and a 485 hoe. The setup is for general home/farm use. I'm upgrading from a JD 2305 TLB.

I plan on putting in a root cellar on a hillside that I have. Also, I'm sure I'll find other uses for it; stumps, trenches, shrubs etc. I understand the concept of renting an excavator for large projects or even buying a used construction grade machine but I think for the uses I have listed, a hoe as an implement is a good addition. I know its a heck of a chunk of cash for the 485 but I have this nagging feeling that if I chose to not get the hoe I would put off small projects for the lack of the convenience of having it right there when I needed it.

Has anyone been in this same situation?
What did you decide and how have you felt with your decision?
When I bought my BX23 with A BH back iin 2004 My head was made up i was going to get a tractor with a BH years before that.
If my BX 23 didn't have a BH I'd have a hard time feeling it was really a tractor!

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #12  
Having a backhoe was essential to my tractor purchase... only regret is I wish it was stronger... works like a champ most of the year... hot summers when the ground becomes cement is more of a struggle.

Whenever I think it is too slow I remind myself of the alternative with a pick and shovel...

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #13  
If you don't get a backhoe, I'm sure there will be plenty of times when you sure wish you would of got one. :)

I used mine today to fix a broken PVC irrigation line that I wasn't anticipating on.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #14  
hello iam processing buying kubota L3400 HST with LA 463 FEL loaderandscrapbox with 4 sancks.i amgetting a quote canadian $ 25000 to26000 im confused is it good price or not please let me know thanks..

You probably won't get much help posting a separate question in the middle of an ongoing conversation.... but if you start a new thread under Kubota Buying/Pricing - TractorByNet.com you might do better...BTW welcome to TBN..

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #15  
my oppinion is no i bought a hoe for my jd990 about 4 yrs ago used it about 8 times dug out some stumps dug a ditch all for 8500. hard to take on and off takes up a lot of room in barn.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #16  
You made an excellent choice in tractors. I don't think you will regret the hoe at all. I use my 47 on a 4310 very infrequently. But when I do I'm sure glad it's there!!! If its not gonna break the bank, screw it, go for it!!

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #17  
I just bought a B2620 Kubota w/ BH65 backhoe.
10 hours of work breaking in and popped 3 stumps per hour from a new cottage lot I am clearing at 1500 rpm.

No shortage of power.

Figure by the time I am finished clearing the lot, foundation, garage pad, septic field when I want versus when local TLB guy is available.

Plus likely do way more than I would have done hiring someone out as the work is now virtually FREE.

Plus bought it so well I couldn't go wrong.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #18  
I DIDN'T get a hoe when I ordered my 4300. Didn't think I could afford it.
After renting the mini excavator a few times (total price more than a hoe) I found a used JD hoe and snapped it up. It goes on in the spring for a month or so, then again in the fall for a month or so. The rest of the summer its on and off as my wife finds projects that need doing...
It even went on during one January thaw when our driveway washed out....

If your wife is into gardening you can earn a LOT of brownie points with a hoe....and having one to use makes it a lot easier when building trails to get at firewood trees, or digging fencepost holes, or installing sono-tubes for a new deck, or planting a rosebush, or digging potatoes, ,,,,

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #19  
With out a doubt, get the BH if you can swing it. We did....twice, Don't use it a lot now but on the same token over the course of years it sounds like it would be a good INVESTMENT for you. Cost us $200.00 a year to own out JD650/FEL/BH. I was on the fence as to getting a BH with the JD2320 when we trade the JD650. My wife said are you NUTS, we need it. No regrets.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #20  
None of us are getting any younger.
The teenage boys you had doing the grunt work are all grown up and moved away for their own families.
You're on a limited budget (or looking at one), and won't be able to hire somebody else each year to do the work for you.
You still need the outdoor exercise for your own health, but don't want to overdo it.
Digging ditches, cleaning out drainage, digging holes, moving logs, moving and placing rocks for walls and walkways, planting that 10 year old tree your wife got on sale at the nursery, removing that beaver dam for the umteenth time, physically removing that woodchuck from his burrow, and the burrow itself, picking up chunks of that crappy patio slab the previous owner poured, pulling the engine on your favorite car restoration project.

Backhoe and thumb sounds like the way to go.