Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No?

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #21  
I used my hoe frequently first two years and sometimes now and then and I have never regretted the extra money, even when it sits idle.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #22  
Thanks Gents i was not going to by back hoe, now it looks like it is good thing to do. thanks a lot

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #23  
And like others said. Get a thumb. It's on my list of many wants!!

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No?
Thanks for all the terrific replies. I had been leaning towards a hoe to begin with. Now, after reading all those persuasive comments on the pro side, I confirmed with my dealer a 485 backhoe. I look forward to the machine and will post pics when delivered.

What a great forum. Keep up the good work.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #25  
I bought my JD755 used with a hoe. I wasn't specifically looking for it, but it was a good bonus. I use it all the time. Once you have one, you will find many more uses that you could imagine. I will be making a thumb once I can get some free time.

The thought of selling it did cross my mind, but the convenience is worth more than what I could get for it. Some people will say they can get a backhoe or mini ex delivered for $X anytime they want. You will tend to have a bunch of jobs lined up and waiting to rent a hoe. I can be drinking coffee on my day off and decide to put on the hoe and get a job done. No phone calls and waiting for delivery or taking the trailer to the rental place. My time and less running around is worth it to me.

I stored it in the garage last winter, but it has been sitting outside since the spring. The paint is faded, so it has sat outside before.

I do have to take it off to cut the grass. I can get the backhoe off and the mower on in 20 to 30 minutes depending on how everything lines up.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #26  
I also probably don't use the BH on m tractor enough to really justify the price but it sure is great to have it when I want/need it. As others have mentioned get a thumb for it if you can, it will add a great deal of versatility to an already useful implement.

Matt.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #27  
My wife and kids have this sixth sense when it comes to detecting money in my wallet.
I have learned that no matter how well I plan for a job involving rental equipment, they somehow take priority for their needs when all I want is to get that durn hole dug.
By investing in the equipment up front, I can do the job when I have the time and not have to wait until I have the cash.

Attachments are my savings account. Don't pay a great interest rate, but my principal is protected. Plus I can visit them anytime I want.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #28  
tractors are a multi purpose tool.

the only grip i have for a backhoe is the ford / new holland 555c TLB. it is a construction model tractor old but runs good. is that the backhoe does not come off, so i could run other 3pt hitch implements.

i don't have the cash for 2 good size tractors. so for me. it was put cash and some time into a old used TLB larger unit and get a lot of the big stuff done. then when majorty of the big stuff is done. sell the tractor off for most likely about same amount i paid. and then put cash into a CUT to Utitilty class tractor and a 3pt style / sub frame backhoe. smaller backhoe, but would allow me at that later date to run other 3pt implements.

the backhoe has paid for itself. granted on any new tractor and implements you can get a good price mark down if ya sell it later down road. but even after that. for me a backhoe would pay for itself.

city / town folks with say 5 acres of land. i would have hard time justifying to myself to say hey you need a backhoe. but when ya a DIY person. things come around that the FEL and backhoe just take care of like no other.

again tractor is a multi purpose tool. backhoe only extends that functionality even more.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #29  
Asking a bunch of tractor guys if you should get a backhoe is like asking a boozer at the bar if he wants a free drink!:laughing:

By the way, you definitely need to get the backhoe! :D

I didn't see in the other replies if they said it or not, but also get the tires filled with fluid and wheel weights. That will add stability and greatly increase digging force. You can only dig down with the same force as the machine weighs, at some point pushing down will raise the tractor rather than dig.

/ Compact Utility Tractor purchase: Add a backhoe; Yes or No? #30  
Asking a bunch of tractor guys if you should get a backhoe is like asking a boozer at the bar if he wants a free drink!:laughing:

By the way, you definitely need to get the backhoe! :D

I didn't see in the other replies if they said it or not, but also get the tires filled with fluid and wheel weights. That will add stability and greatly increase digging force. You can only dig down with the same force as the machine weighs, at some point pushing down will raise the tractor rather than dig.
Want a drink?:D
Also good point about tractor weight. Never thought of that, like HELLO, Earth to Gizmo2......!