Compressed Air Line Question

/ Compressed Air Line Question #11  
Copper refrigeration tubing would work, refrigeration pressures and temperatures are higher than what you will see on a compressed air system. It comes in roll form and with the proper bender you would have less joints, compression fitting and/or soldered/brazed joints can be utilized.

I'm starting my shop lines this weekend using 3/4" copper 10' lengths need about 100 -125 feet expensive yes but will last for years had it in my old shop for 12 years and it is still in use no problems if you figure the cost over how many years you get out of it not a bad choice

/ Compressed Air Line Question #12  
Best would be threaded pipe. If you want to avoid the cutting/threading just make up air hose sections to go between sections and to avoid transmitting vibration. I think copper would be OK but I think the cost would not be favorable. The specialized air distribution line systems look great but they cost is pretty high.

Whatever you do, don't use PVC. I know people have used it for years, but if something falls on a line, someone can be killed.

I never done it but how difficult is it to use a pipe threader?
HF has them for $75.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #13  
Never used HF one but I've threaded a lot of pipe with a ratchet threader. Not terribly difficult just make sure pipe is secure.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #14  
After looking at all the choices PEX seems like it has many advantages.

Copper seems like way overkill from a cost standpoint and is more difficult to work with. I just don't see any advantages to using copper but to each thier own.
Steel pipe is nice but all those threaded connections and fittings will likely cost more than the pex and is much more time consuming.
PVC works and is easy but certainly has drawbacks from a safety standpoint and from a UV exposure standpoint.

I'd probably choose pex of all the choices. Seems to win from a cost standpoint, ease of installation standpoint, and for most applications be very durable.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #15  
I used to work where we had PVC air lines. there was a blow out or two. Fortunately no one was hurt. I would use PVC if it was somewhere it couldn't hurt anyone like a crawl space or attic

/ Compressed Air Line Question #16  
I never done it but how difficult is it to use a pipe threader?
HF has them for $75.

It's actually very simple. I've done lots of threading, both with machine driven and by hand. (The threading tool is the same in both cases, the machine just turns the pipe.) However, I always used Rigid tools. The HF gets mixed reviews, but if I had a need today, I'd probably try it. Two tips - use lots of thread cutting oil and don't thread too far. If you overthread (past the depth of the die) you may bottom out on some fittings or damage threaded valves.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #17  
PEX should work.. there is PEX-Al-PEX made for compressed air too. More expensive though. HDPE and HDPE-Al_HDPE for compressed air also work (most 'systems/kits' are this) If ran on the wall surfaces, run it through PVC for protection.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #18  
I have run tons of iron pipe in factory settings but in my garage and basement I find copper works best. It is easy, light, durable, nice looking.

Black pipe works if you want it to look like a factory. CPVC works in Bubbas garage.

But, I ran copper around my garage and put outlets every so often, but then I just used a 50' hose out of the compressor most of the time and didn't use the fittings, but sure does look nice.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #19  
I certainly would not RECOMMEND PVC, but that's what I used in my shop several years back. And I never had a problem with it, but may have had such if I'd used it a few more years.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #20  
I have a 200 ft run of pvc air line to an out building , then it transitions to copper . It has been under constant pressure going on about 20 years . And its thin wall sdr 21 pvc its rated for 220 psi ( I am an irrigation contractor ) .