Compressed Air Line Question

/ Compressed Air Line Question #21  
Instead of standard schedule 40 PVC you could use schedule 80 if you can find it. I made a couple of air tanks for my truck from 4" schedule 80 PVC and they've been going for some years now.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #22  
PVC get's it's rating at a certain temp., with NO impacts...

If the temp changes or if anything has bumped the PVC, the rating also changes and NOT for the good. I'd NEVER use it.

All of my piping in my shops, now and in the past, I've run blk. pipe. It's easy to do and it's a "do it once and forget it" job!!

SR

/ Compressed Air Line Question #23  
[video]http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/our-blog/bid/94802/what-type-of-pipe-should-i-use-for-my-air-compressor[/video]

Some basic information. It seems there is also aluminum pipe that has been introduced since my "Best Before Date".

/ Compressed Air Line Question #24  
After looking at all the choices PEX seems like it has many advantages.

PEX should work..

Do NOT use PEX made for water. PEX does not like a good many oils. It starts a slow breakdown process.

there is PEX-Al-PEX made for compressed air too. More expensive though. .

Yeah, that's because it's not the same stuff!

PVC get's it's rating at a certain temp., with NO impacts...

If the temp changes or if anything has bumped the PVC, the rating also changes and NOT for the good. I'd NEVER use it.

I plan to run 3/4" Schedule 80 PVC underground for about 200 feet, so I can have compressed air back where I do my wood splitting, and another underground run up front for cleaning boots. It's not going to get hot 2 feet underground, and I'll use copper to the surface. I don't expect any problems with that. If it blows, nobody gets hurt.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #25  
I don't like doing jobs twice, thankyouverymuch! I use blk. pipe, so I KNOW I won't have to re-do it...

SR

/ Compressed Air Line Question #26  
Do NOT use PEX made for water. PEX does not like a good many oils. It starts a slow breakdown process.

Yeah, that's because it's not the same stuff!

I plan to run 3/4" Schedule 80 PVC underground for about 200 feet, so I can have compressed air back where I do my wood splitting, and another underground run up front for cleaning boots. It's not going to get hot 2 feet underground, and I'll use copper to the surface. I don't expect any problems with that. If it blows, nobody gets hurt.

Try to get bell end pipe . 3/4 in pvc Schedule 40 is rated for 440 psi .

When I blow out irrigation systems we are using a 125 cfm compressor at 100 psi , blowing into thin wall pvc . In 30 years we have never blown a pipe apart , Maybe a couple fittings blew out , but never the pipe itself .

/ Compressed Air Line Question #27  
I have a 200 ft run of pvc air line to an out building , then it transitions to copper . It has been under constant pressure going on about 20 years . And its thin wall sdr 21 pvc its rated for 220 psi ( I am an irrigation contractor ) .
No way, bro, it blows up because I heard it from the special air line pipe commercial.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #28  
No way, bro, it blows up because I heard it from the special air line pipe commercial.

You actually make me wonder how much of the idea that PVCs gonna blow up and kill you stuff is just hype from mfgrs of alternatives.

/ Compressed Air Line Question #29  
You actually make me wonder how much of the idea that PVCs gonna blow up and kill you stuff is just hype from mfgrs of alternatives.
NOT too much hype, considering I saw one blow one time!

There were shards of plastic all over the shop, and we all were glad that no one happen to be near it, when it blew!

SR

/ Compressed Air Line Question #30  
Ok, so once. It's happened once. I think more compressors have blown up. I know more air tanks have ruptured just from stories on here.