Concrete drive

/ Concrete drive #21  
and the other is $1641 at $100 per yard equaling 16.41 yards.

This new Math has me confused. What happens if the concrete is $78.00 per cubic yard?:thumbsup::)

/ Concrete drive #22  
Several members mentioned to make sure the rebar or wire is in the middle of the poured concrete..

Is it best to be in the middle, top half or bottom half of the pour??

I have heard that about 1/3 up from the bottom is best, and there is a certain logic to that from a mechanical engineering standpoint.

You want the bar covered with at least 1.5 inches of concrete on all sides for rust prevention, 2 inches is better. If you are worried about the fill settling and then driving heavy vehicles on the driveway, about 2 inches off the bottom would be best.

OTOH, if you have expansive soil under the driveway, and you are worried about failure from expansive soil uplifting the concrete, then about 2 inches down from the top would be better.

/ Concrete drive #23  
I use plastic chairs for supporting rebar. They are cheap and light weight for carrying around. They never cause any problems down the road either.

Eddie

Eddie:

Where do you get the plastic chairs?

I haven't seen them around my area, and I like the idea better than dobies. I have a concrete slab coming up in about a month and I could give them a try.

/ Concrete drive #24  
Hi CurlyDave,
Check Eagle Eye Products for concrete chairs. I have used them. They are real nice. EagleEyeProducts.com

RTJ49
BX25

/ Concrete drive #25  
Eddie:

Where do you get the plastic chairs?

I haven't seen them around my area, and I like the idea better than dobies. I have a concrete slab coming up in about a month and I could give them a try.

They are everywhere. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace all have them. I'm surprised that you asked. That must mean that it's not stocked in all the stores.

Eddie

/ Concrete drive #26  
Several members mentioned to make sure the rebar or wire is in the middle of the poured concrete..

Is it best to be in the middle, top half or bottom half of the pour??

This has been discussed many times before with good pro and con arguments; but every 4" - 6" thick driveway/sidewalk slab I drew for my employers had the reinforcing in the middle with 3" of cover all around.

/ Concrete drive #27  
I've had some major driveway work done in the past couple of years. Cost was $1/sq ft for the work, $2 for the concrete (6", $100/yd here). Fiber, no wire or rebar.

I did the prep work.

Most of our driveway (2200' total) is 35 years old, no steel or mesh, but 6" thick and has held up fine except when I had a big excavator in to widen the driveway.

It doesn't cost any more labor to put in 6" vs. 4", just more material cost.

Ken

/ Concrete drive #28  
I just had my drive done in April. I have 4600 sq ft of drive and I was looking at 5.5" of 4000 psi for my needs. Commonly tow trailers at 25,000# over it. Anyway it was right at $5.25 per SQ FT in my area for the concrete and labor. We were looking about 85 to 90 yards of concrete at $106 per yard with fiber in my area. I also wanted wire and it comes in rolls that are 100'x5' here for about $75 each or another $7000. Long story short it was just a tad over $30,000. Too rich for my blood.

What I ended up doing was I had a 40x20 slab poured in the front of my pole barn. We used 4000 psi with mesh and wire. I think it was $1600 for the materials and I dug it out using my tractor, my neighbors dump truck, and my brothers Case BH. I paid some finishers $.70 per SQ FT to pour it and finish it or $560. So I had about $2200 in this 800 SQ ft slab by doing some of the work myself.

I had the rest of the drive paved by a local company. They did 4200 sq ft 3" thick for $7500. So all in all the whole drive was done for less than $10,000.

Anyway, I think the price you got is right in the ball park. I would put wire in it though or even rebarb.

Chris

Attachments

• truck boat.jpg
    truck boat.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF0164.jpg
    DSCF0164.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF0165.jpg
    DSCF0165.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 141
   / Concrete drive #29  
Got another quote last night. Same 200 ft X 10 ft X 4" with wire = $5,000. I haven't checked with the concrete plants, but have heard it's down to about $85/yard around here right now. Same drive in asphalt from the same guy is $4,700.

/ Concrete drive #30  
Got another quote last night. Same 200 ft X 10 ft X 4" with wire = $5,000. I haven't checked with the concrete plants, but have heard it's down to about $85/yard around here right now. Same drive in asphalt from the same guy is $4,700.

That is a really good price on the concrete and way high on the asphalt.

Chris