Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #1  

bridge4

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638. Scag 61 V-ride.
Hey All,
I am going to be opening up an area for some material and equipment storage and I had a question. In part of the area I am thinking of pouring a slab, so that when I scoop up the mulch/topsoil/stone/etc.. its nice and clean and I don't get any dirt in it. I know that one option is just be a better operator, well I am working on that...

In the meantime, I was thinking of putting a 5" slab down, and stacking bin blocks (2-2.5) high around the edges to contain and separate the material. My ? is, can I stack the blocks on a slab that deep? Or should I be stacking the bin blocks, then pouring inside their footprint?

Going to work with a neighbor to do this and trying to get a good plan together before we go too far.

Thanks in advance.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #2  
A big part of depth needed is the material under the concrete. If it's clean and well compacted, you won't need as much. If it's loose material that is going to shift underneath, or there are rocks that the frost is going to move around, the thicker, the safer.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks
A big part of depth needed is the material under the concrete. If it's clean and well compacted, you won't need as much. If it's loose material that is going to shift underneath, or there are rocks that the frost is going to move around, the thicker, the safer.
Where I am, once you go down a foot or two its all gravel. My thought is to scrap the topsoil off, put down some crushed stone, compact, and pour on top of that. I don't think there are many huge boulders/rocks in the area, but there certainly are some.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #4  
I'd definitaly plan on stacking the blocks on the concrete. They will stack nicer and wont settle or lean.

While those blocks are big and heavy, they have a large footprint.

2x2x6 blocks that weigh almost 2-ton but have 12 sq ft of footprint.

4" of concrete is more than enough, especially if you strip 4-6" of topsoil and put in 4-6" of crushed stone and compact it.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #5  
Why such big blocks? I'm thinking of doing something similar for my manure from the animals, and I was going to use cinder blocks with rebar, and then fill with concrete. Mine will be build into the side of a slope, so the blocks will also act as a retaining wall. I'm planning on 4 inches of concrete on top of virgin soil. I'm not putting any rock under it, but I'm in East Texas, and nobody puts rock under concrete here.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #6  
I'm curious as to why you plan to use bin blocks since you're pouring a slab. Why not use CMU blocks or pour the separator wails? They can be tied into the slab with rebar and don't take as much space as the bin blocks.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks
I'd definitaly plan on stacking the blocks on the concrete. They will stack nicer and wont settle or lean.

While those blocks are big and heavy, they have a large footprint.

2x2x6 blocks that weigh almost 2-ton but have 12 sq ft of footprint.

4" of concrete is more than enough, especially if you strip 4-6" of topsoil and put in 4-6" of crushed stone and compact it.
Thanks! I appreciate that information, very helpful.

Why such big blocks? I'm thinking of doing something similar for my manure from the animals, and I was going to use cinder blocks with rebar, and then fill with concrete. Mine will be build into the side of a slope, so the blocks will also act as a retaining wall. I'm planning on 4 inches of concrete on top of virgin soil. I'm not putting any rock under it, but I'm in East Texas, and nobody puts rock under concrete here.
I am up north, an frost and soil movement in the seasonal changes require it I believe if I want it to last.
I'm curious as to why you plan to use bin blocks since you're pouring a slab. Why not use CMU blocks or pour the separator wails? They can be tied into the slab with rebar and don't take as much space as the bin blocks.
I am going to use bin blocks so that I can smash into it a bit and never worry. I also think the simpler process should save some time and money, maybe I am wrong though. The crane sets them, and I forget them. I am not super concerned about the space, what I have planned includes extra room for the blocks. The other reason, is that this set up may not stay here forever. This way I have the ability to move the wall and use them in another area. My plans always change and having the ability to move them around at some point to use them in another area is appealing to me.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #8  
I looked into bin blocks for this and similar uses and decided that because I don't own something that has enough lift, the costs of purchasing them and having a crane set them ended up being substantially more than rebar and poured concrete. If you can move them yourself, that's a totally different story.

So, I would suggest a poured wall, or as @EddieWalker suggested rebar and filled cinder blocks. If you do decide to move it, a couple of hours with a concrete saw would have it reduced enough to remove.

All the best,

Peter

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #9  
Back in the 60's my neighbor built what you want to build. He pored concrete and rebar and let it cure for a week or so before using it. His ford tractor with loader pushed the back wall out the following summer.

I would make the back-wall and floor joint homogenous and very thick with lots of heavy rebar.

/ Concrete Slab thickness for Bin Blocks #10  
I'd be tempted to dig down a bit lay down highway fabric and a bit of gravel, then set the mafia blocks and pour inside of them.
bunker 1.jpg