Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong
I would think it's a high resistive (loose connection) connection droping the 480 volts raising current draw. Are the chillers loading up on full load? Could be up to 4X's current draw on start up. High heat at connection should be checked by scanner. One phase could be drifting out causing additional load. Need fast acting recorders, curve rate on C/B should absorb some of mismatch. Is source B from generated source running at 60 cycles. Something is drifting the phasing out of syc. I know it's all about tractors, but sometime we need a little tune up.

Remember - Please don't drink and drive and don't drink and "tractorbynet".

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #12  
Transit, Has a load been added that you are not a where of? That trick gets pulled on us at work quite a bit.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong
Transit, Has a load been added that you are not a where of? That trick gets pulled on us at work quite a bit.

hidden and transit - Do you think my truck/truck battery is screwed up? It was running when I went to jump the Impala.

Thanks.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #14  
If there is something damaged on your truck it would most likely be something in the charging circuit. Since you are jumping the impala it's battery was drained/at a lower voltage. So really all you did to your truck was put a very heavy load on the battery and alternator/voltage regulator. Since your truck is running okay the best way to check your charging circuit is to turn on all the electrical items you can (headlights, blower, AC, etc.) and check your voltage at the battery. You should see around 14.4 volts (not sure excatly what voltage is typical for fords) with everything on and truck running. If your charging circuit is not working you will see the battery voltage slowly drop meaning that your charging circuit is not keeping up and you are slowly draining the battery.

Good Luck, :)

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #15  
Remember that everything works normally when the load is running from source A and fails on source B. The chiller load and breaker are always the same. Nothing looks out of place. Startup loads look normal. That is the problem, nothing is out of place. The offending breaker was moved to another circuit with the same loading and no trouble. It may be simply that we are getting bad power from the AmTrack substation and have not recorded it as yet. Station management is not too cooperative with testing and they want the backup to be working, we need more test time without interference.

The team opinion is the cause of the problem is the AmTrack power and how do we prove it?

Fun, I do not think that you have harmed the battery, however, solid state devices cannot take a joke, they dont do well with current surges or voltage spikes. All that I can offer is being prepared. 99.9% that everything will be fine bing that it has been running this long and dont do that again.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #16  
Remember that everything works normally when the load is running from source A and fails on source B. The chiller load and breaker are always the same. Nothing looks out of place. Startup loads look normal. That is the problem, nothing is out of place. The offending breaker was moved to another circuit with the same loading and no trouble. It may be simply that we are getting bad power from the AmTrack substation and have not recorded it as yet. Station management is not too cooperative with testing and they want the backup to be working, we need more test time without interference.

The team opinion is the cause of the problem is the AmTrack power and how do we prove it?

I am not familar with your situation or equipment, but it sounds like there is some missing info. Sync. has been mentioned, but you say the breaker is only on one source at a time. What type of transfer switch is this? Are the sources synced so you can switch over uninterrupted or is there a time delay when switching from one to another and everything has to restart? What is the breaker tripping on, instantaneous phase to neutral, phase to phase, timed overcurrent neutral or phase to phase, or is it just opening with no flags.

Maybe we should be PM'ing each other on this one, unless everyone else is enjoying the ride.:cool: I am curious what you find out, will be educational for alot of us.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #17  
In the future, remember that the positive terminal is the big one with the big + embossed next to it on the battery. The negative cable doesn't get connected to the battery at all, but just goes from chassis to chassis. Hooking up the positive wrong just shorts one battery or the other through the cables. The big danger is an exploding battery.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #18  
At this point we have not nailed any reason down, no flags, infer red imaging shows no hot spots. We have not exchanged the inputs to the A/B transfer switch which would be a major power outage. We have not been able to explain why it takes about 45 minuets to trip which is longer than any timeout trip. Everything is so clean that the CB should never trip. Any reason explaining the trip on source B has a counter augment that it works on source A. all is pointing upstream back to the AmTrack substation. We will be at the station tomorrow to see what was captured over the hot weekend and I will know tomorrow when our next test shot is. Got a FED-X fresh supply of yak bones, wombat hides and zombie grave dust, Gary has his didgeridoo.

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #19  
At this point we have not nailed any reason down, no flags, infer red imaging shows no hot spots. We have not exchanged the inputs to the A/B transfer switch which would be a major power outage. We have not been able to explain why it takes about 45 minuets to trip which is longer than any timeout trip. Everything is so clean that the CB should never trip. Any reason explaining the trip on source B has a counter augment that it works on source A. all is pointing upstream back to the AmTrack substation. We will be at the station tomorrow to see what was captured over the hot weekend and I will know tomorrow when our next test shot is. Got a FED-X fresh supply of yak bones, wombat hides and zombie grave dust, Gary has his didgeridoo.

Don't forget to throw in some Wolvesbane and Eye of Newt for good measure.:D

/ Connected Battery Jumper Cables Wrong #20  
This happened to me with my F-150. We were on our way home from vacation about 1:30 in the morning. Some guy needed a jump. I said red on the positive. He responded yes. Well he didn't know red or positive. My battery was smoking. Now I always make the connections myself. The clamp that connected to the battery post was broken somehow. Luckily I was able to make enough of a connection to make it the remaining hour home. This was a couple of years ago. My 150 is fine. I did eventually have to replace the battery. But it was 12 years old so it was about time to replace it.