Considering a brush cutting tractor

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #1  

eagle628

Bronze Member
Tractor
Several
I'm looking into doing commercial brush cutting this year, and would need to buy a tractor for that. I want a fairly simple machine, don't need a hydro transmission or anything fancy, just something that'll get the job done for not huge amounts of money. I would expect a ~40 hp tractor and five foot brushhog would be what I need. Right now I'm leaning towards buying new, because I'm going have to finance whatever I buy, and I might as well get a warranty and the peace of mind of a new machine. The tractor I've most seriously considered is the John Deere 4005, but that's just based on the spec sheet and the fact that the JD dealer is closest to me, and I don't know enough about the various makes to know if that's the best machine for my money or not. Any advice would be appreciated, though I don't plan on making an immediate decision, I'm just hoping to get some more stuff to think about as summer gets closer.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #2  
The 3032E and 3038 will run a 5' brush hog just fine and have 0% financing for 5 years right now.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #3  
Looks like the 4000 series has 0% financing too

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor
Yeah, I thought about the 3038E, but the big advantage the 4005 has is weight, I really like the extra thousand pounds for stability on hills.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #5  
Just a recommendation. As you are going into the brush cutting arena, this is just a suggestion.

First thing you do when you pick up your new tractor is get a skid pan made for it that runs from the back of the front axle to the hitch in the rear. I made mine with flanges that protect all the hoses, linkages and hyd filter and such to the rear. Take your mower and put 3/8 plate around the inside of the deck and put 5/16 under the deck where the blades go around. Get blades that are tipped up on the back side so they hit the deck before the front cutting edge.

I have a bush hog I have had for over twenty years and it does have a few dents, but I learned my lesson earlier with another. I have hit rocks, big ones, engine blocks, you name it. Doing right of way work on pipelines cross country. The worst thing is tires, they get in there and really cause a commotion.

The skid pan really protected the tractor, you won't be disappointed by taking this seriously. I brought back a post about doing hawthorns and such under " tracks ". don't know how much mowing to intend to do, but doing these things before you start will save you money and your equipment.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #6  
If you are looking north of 40HP, I'd be looking at a 6' cutter at least.

And depending on the type of cutting you plan on doing, and how far north of 40hp, I would even consider a twin spindle 8' cutter.

Either way, get a heavy duty cutter. Not a $700 piece at tractor supply. Bushhog, Woods, Landpride, etc all make good HD cutters.

As to the tractor, The Kubota L4600 and MX5100's are alot of HP for the money without paying for alot of the frills.

IF you look older, the ford 860/861 series were alot of HP in s compact package as well. But expect more maintenance and upkeep.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #7  
I do the same thing. I do it with a 28hp tractor and a 5 foot bushog. I am too small for some jobs, but what you are looking at will be will be too big for some. It depends what jobs you think you can get. I have used several brands of mower and most are at least OK. You can find some deals on used 5 footers. The larger sizes are a bit tougher to find. You need a mower that will cover your tracks if you can.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #8  
A tractor with 35+PTO horsepower will easily run a heavy duty 6' brush cutter. My LS isn't my primary brush hogging machine, but it has 38.5HP at the PTO, and it runs a 6' cutter like it's not even there. Because of that I'm looking at 7' models to save a little time (my Massey has even more at the PTO, and it's my primary brush hogging machines, so it makes even more sense).

There's nothing wrong with a 4005, but in almost every case, a Deere will cost you more per HP than any other brand. For some applications the extra $ might be worth it, but not always. Lots of brands offer 0% financing right now, and you can easily find a really nice machine with around 40hp for $25K or less (a lot less if you don't get the FEL).

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor
Hmm, sounds like I can upsize my cutter expectations. That's nice to hear. Of course, I could also downsize the tractor...but where's the fun in that? I know Deere is expensive, but I bought my zero turn mower from that dealership and they've treated me well since then, so I'm not uncomfortable paying a slight premium for that assurance of good service. The other nearby dealer is New Holland, and Kubota is a little further away than that. The 4005 MSRP (according to Tractor.com) is a little shy of 20k; with brushhog I would think I could have the rig for 21k at most. The L4600 is a few thousand more, according to the Kubota website, but it looks like a pretty nice machine, might have to think about that.

Also thank you plumbstraight for the advice.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #10  
A tractor with 35+PTO horsepower will easily run a heavy duty 6' brush cutter. My LS isn't my primary brush hogging machine, but it has 38.5HP at the PTO, and it runs a 6' cutter like it's not even there. Because of that I'm looking at 7' models to save a little time (my Massey has even more at the PTO, and it's my primary brush hogging machines, so it makes even more sense).
As I understand it, a twin spindle 8' mower is easier to spin than a single spindle 7' mower as the blades have a smaller diameter circle, so they need less torque. They are also 2-3' shorter (a 7' will be 9' long with the tailwheel whereas a 8' will be 6-7' long with its tailwheel(s)), so they fit on a shorter trailer.

Aaron Z