Considering a brush cutting tractor

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #11  
The L4600 is a few thousand more, according to the Kubota website, but it looks like a pretty nice machine, might have to think about that.
Note that that's list price and you should be able to get a better price than list in most cases.

Aaron Z

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor
Note that that's list price and you should be able to get a better price than list in most cases.

Aaron Z

Yeah, but for both the Kubota and Deere, I figure if I bought the tractor/brushhog as a package the hog would pretty much make up whatever I could negotiate off the tractor, and possibly a little more besides. I would expect the Kubota to always be a a few thousand more in cost, but it's also a little better or the equivalent in most specs (bigger fuel tank and three point hitch capacity are the ones that jump out). So I'd have to decide if that was worth it.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #13  
What kinds of brush cutting jobs are you going for? Little acre jobs, or highway jobs? Or something in between?

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #14  
Yeah, but for both the Kubota and Deere, I figure if I bought the tractor/brushhog as a package the hog would pretty much make up whatever I could negotiate off the tractor, and possibly a little more besides. I would expect the Kubota to always be a a few thousand more in cost, but it's also a little better or the equivalent in most specs (bigger fuel tank and three point hitch capacity are the ones that jump out). So I'd have to decide if that was worth it.
Good point. On Kubota vs Deere pricing, if comparing equivalent models, I suspect that which costs more will depend on your dealer and how much of a margin they want to get.

Aaron Z

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #15  
I know Deere is expensive, but I bought my zero turn mower from that dealership and they've treated me well since then, so I'm not uncomfortable paying a slight premium for that assurance of good service.

Depends on your definition of "slight" really. On equivalent machines, i.e. the same weight/size/HP, and similar options, Deere can run 20-50% more than many other brands, although Kubota is usually closer than that.

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor #16  
As I understand it, a twin spindle 8' mower is easier to spin than a single spindle 7' mower as the blades have a smaller diameter circle, so they need less torque. They are also 2-3' shorter (a 7' will be 9' long with the tailwheel whereas a 8' will be 6-7' long with its tailwheel(s)), so they fit on a shorter trailer.

Aaron Z

That's a good point....I'm sure they're more expensive, but an extra foot in width, while shorter length might make it worthwhile. There's no end of things to research, and spend money on!

/ Considering a brush cutting tractor
What kinds of brush cutting jobs are you going for? Little acre jobs, or highway jobs? Or something in between?

I'd be looking to pretty much follow in the footsteps of my existing lawn maintenance business, which is largely targeted at residential customers, some commercial. I'd expect brush hogging to be on fields less than ten acres, and generally more like five.