Construction of Laminated posts for Pole Barn

/ Construction of Laminated posts for Pole Barn #51  
I was also wondering about the laminated posts I am putting up a 60 x 120 Fabric building and the posts that it sits on are to be atleast a 10 x 10 so I am going to make them, I have been told that if you bought a wolmanized post that big that it wouldn't have much treating in the middle anyways.
So I am going to join 2 x 10's and make my own. But I was wondering the best way to go about that. I am only going up 6 ft out of the ground and atleast 4 in the ground so 10' long I think.

/ Construction of Laminated posts for Pole Barn #52  
Welcome to the forum! You may want to start a new tread given this one has not been active since 03.

You have to offer more information than what you have. You are going to put 10', 10x10 posts, 4' in the ground and have 6' exposed above ground, right? So you are going to set what on the posts and how do you deal with that hinge point to meet wind loads for your area with that large of structure?

Or, are you setting trusses on top of the 6' posts and having a really low ceiling? (humor intended)

MarkV

/ Construction of Laminated posts for Pole Barn #53  
I was also wondering about the laminated posts I am putting up a 60 x 120 Fabric building and the posts that it sits on are to be atleast a 10 x 10 so I am going to make them, I have been told that if you bought a wolmanized post that big that it wouldn't have much treating in the middle anyways.
So I am going to join 2 x 10's and make my own. But I was wondering the best way to go about that. I am only going up 6 ft out of the ground and atleast 4 in the ground so 10' long I think.

Several years ago I made a gate for my Japanese garden using laminated posts (one 4x4 PT center post with four 2x4 redwood pieces glued to the faces of the center post).

DSCF0104 (Small).JPGDSCF0116 (Small).JPGDSCF0123 (Small).JPGDSCF0124 (Small).JPGDSCF0163 (Small).JPG

Used Titebond exterior grade wood glue.

Hope this helps
Good luck

/ Construction of Laminated posts for Pole Barn #54  
This is kinda funny/ironic.

Over the weekend I was searching the Internet for information on Glulams suppliers as well as making your own....

The search found this thread on TBN. :thumbsup::D:D:D Which I read even though the discussion was rather old. Nice trip down memory land seeing some of the old members who no longer visit TBN. :) The information was still good. :thumbsup::)

Then this thread pops up alive again. :D

Later,
Dan