convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ?

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #11  
The starter ( DC Motor) doesn't care it it is attached to 6 or 12 volts it will just spin faster with 12. When my generator went, I took it to a rebuilder and had it rebuilt for under $40, I could have converted it but like you said I've never had any trouble starting it even in the coldest weather.

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ?
Anybody have any leads on a good generator rebuilder?

Speedy:)

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #13  
speedracing944 said:
I still have the postive ground system. would something have to change with the starter to go with the negative ground?

my oil pressure gage is mechanical so no change needed there.

If I do the 12V conversion it would pave the way for fuel injection and EDIS ignition. :)

That positive ground issue might make it more difficult. Your starter might spin backwards if you change over to negative ground.

Here are a few good links:

Yesterday's Tractors - Ford early N-Series 12 volt Conversion Kit FAQ

Yesterday's Tractors - Converting from 6 Volt to 12 Volt

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #15  
Aquaman said:
So what?? Just drive it in reverse!!!:D :D :D

You'd have 3 reverse gears and 1 forward...

The motor on an Old Model A backfired and started running backwards... I wouldn't have believed it was possible if I hadn't seen it. Sounded a little off... though.

A lot of the guys run 6 volt starters on 12 volts... it can be a little harder on the Bendix Spring, but the electrical part holds up just fine.

If the 8N is like other Fords with positive ground, changing from positive to negative ground will not change starter rotation.

It also doesn't effect the generator, although you may need to re-polarize it momentarily.

A lot of guys still run 8-volt batteries on 6 volt systems with 6-volt generators and mechanical generator cut-out.

For 12-volt, most convert to an alternator with internal regulator or you "CAN" have your generator converted to 12-volt out-put. The alternator gives much better charging at low rpm's vs standard generators.

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #16  
speedracing944 said:
Anybody have any leads on a good generator rebuilder?

I'm having a 12v generator rebuilt for our '49 jeep at a local auto electric service shop. I'd check the yellow pages and see what be in your area. But I'm a fan of 12V systems. It was a Willys option and our first jeep came with a 12V system. We are converting the second.

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #17  
I have this in my file it shows everything on how to wire one up. johnabillingsley.com/index.html You can get most of the parts at a auto wrecking yard to see if you like it and than new at a later date. Hope this helps.

PJ

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #18  
I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the many thoughts of the members here. I've been exploring here for several weeks and I feel at home.

I had an 8N a few years back and did the conversion to 12v and it works fine; starter works and things are better. One thing I did not see mentioned here is that the points are set up to run on 6v and will need to be altered or they will burn up in short time.
One way to do that is to put a resistor block in the system after the coil and mount it near the front of the motor behind the fan for cooling.
Another way is to change the coil to 12v. Neither is an expensive fix.
The easy way to get the alternator is to buy a rebuilt GM or better get a junk yard deal and take it to a rebuild shop. You will need build a bracket to fix it to the motor. I do not remember what I used, but it was not a major obstacle in the conversion Since the little flat head motor has limited rpms compared to an car it is a good idea to change the pulley on the alternator to make it run faster and charge better. A good source for this is a junk yard or better yet to get a good alternator man to rebuild you an junk alternator to your specs with pulley and amp rating that you require. 60 amps would be more that enough, although I put a 120+ on mine because that is what I found in the junk yard that was a good fit. I was cautioned about the small GM units that are on many compact cars so I used a large one since there was room.
An alternator rebuild shop would be a good source for information and parts. They knew what I needed and have lots of old pulleys to choose from to build my unit.
I'd recommend the change to 12v and I'd also keep all the old parts to make the tractor more valuable to a buyer that wanted to restore the unit. I kept mine and it worked out well when I sold it.

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #19  
I've been using a 12v on my old red FCub for years and it is a positive ground, with no problems. It has a magneto ignition, so there was no need to change coil either. Starter has never been a problem, it starts so fast the starter is never engaged for long. You will be pleased with the conversion.

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #20  
Only slightly bad advice I saw was using the original generator as a core on a new alternator. DON'T. Keep it or post it on ebay or this site. Plenty of tractor guys want a tractor genny. They are different from auto versions.

jb