convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ?

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #21  
john_bud said:
Only slightly bad advice I saw was using the original generator as a core on a new alternator. DON'T. Keep it or post it on ebay or this site. Plenty of tractor guys want a tractor genny. They are different from auto versions.

jb

Yes that is correct. I thought about that when I was writing but forgot to add that in my post. I tend to be a pack rat. right now I got a tractor on the carport, one in the lawn. Some 8N part spread around the place and a frount wheel in the back of the truck that needs a thorn plulled out of it.

Good eye jb!

Happy New Year to all.

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #22  
Is the generator not rebuildable? I get gennies rebuilt in the 60-80 $ range if i take them in.. or if they just need brushes and some minor work.. I do it my self.

if the mica is pround, use a broke hacksaw blade and undercut it a half milimeter, and use 60 grit to polis the comutator... unless you have a shorted or open field, or a bad armature.. there isn't much mor ethan a bearing/bushing and brushes to fixing the old gens.

the regulators are about 40$ a pop.

way easy to test the gens and regs.

you can motor test the gen.. gens that motor.. usually charge.. gens that charge.. usually motor.

this is an A-circuit field system,meaning the vr provides field ground and the field winding int he genny is internally hooked to the armature.

most popular reasons for converting to 12v are a tired engine with low compression.. or the need for more lamps or 12v implements...

post back.

soundguy

speedracing944 said:
I have a '47 8N which I use for snow removal and lawn/pasture cutting. I just trouble shot my charging system and determined the generator is shot. The tractor is still running the old 6V system. I noticed a new generator is $120 where as a 12V conversion system not including the battery and lights is $145. Other than the generator the current system on the tractor works quite well and starts even if it is 0 degrees outside. I even just bought 6V headlights.

My question is considering the current 6V system is in good shape should I still convert to 12V? I am guessing with the cost of a battery and lights it would push the conversiion price to about $220 or so verses just paying the $120 for the generator.

What do you guys think?

Speedy:)

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ?
Thanks for all your advice. What I decided to do since the rest of my 6V system is in good shape and does a good job starting the tractor in sub zero temps was to order a generator rebuild kit. I bought the kit which includes the bearing, bushing, all gaskets and brushes. The kit should be coming in today. I got it for $20 at Phil's Farm Store in Madison.

I will let you guys know when I get it done and up and running. Hopefully in the next couple days. :)

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #24  
Remember to undercut the mica!

soundguy

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ?
Thanks Soundguy. I am unsure what you mean by undercutting the mica but maybe I will see what you are talking about once I get it taken apart. If I have any doubts or questions I will throw up a post.

Best Regards,

/ convert or not to convert from 6V to 12V ? #26  
Between each of the copper slugs that the brushes ride on is a piece of mica for insulation, you don't want them at the same hight as the copper, they need to be undercut.