CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #1  

grsr3

Bronze Member
I have a 25 HP Kama TS254 with a typical TPH setup and would like to know what is involved in attaching separate cylinders so the two sides worked independently. There are presently two short arms that come off the sides of the hydraulic reservoir that move the hitch up and down together. It would be much more versatile if these arms could be adjusted independently by using hydraulics rather than jumping off and on the machine and hand turning the arm linkages. Maybe there is a thread somewhere here that explains this.

Thanks,
George (All my wounds are self-inflicted) Roma

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #2  
George,

What you are referring to is called a Tilt System - typically used in conjunction with a hydraulic Top Link and then call Top and Tilt. You usually only put the cylinder on the one side. If you do a search you will find all kinds of descriptions on how this works and how to install.

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #3  
grsr3, you need to look up the modification 3RRL did to his 3 pt hitch. He did exactly what you are looking for..... though you should be prepared to spend some money !

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #5  
Hi George,
That link that my good buddy Scott (Ductape) posted is the link I was referring to in the email I sent you. It is a very doable and worthwhile project. Adding side links is especially advantageous if you do a lot of boxblade work and also in adjusting the sideways level of other implements while working them. Not only that, but in hooking up implements too.

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION
Thanks for the direction guys---I will check those other links you recommend and let you know if I have any questions. I don't expect my conversion to be as complicated as Rob's since I won't be needing check valves and extra heavy cylinders, etc. etc.
Geo.

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #7  
Well make sure you take plenty of pictures and post them as you go !!

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION
OK--finally had time to look at some other articles on the Top N Tilt idea---and still not sure about it. Looks like you keep the original TPH setup. Then you add either one or two cylinders as desired. The problem here is to get cylinders that best match your original TPH arms so that they will slip on easily. I was to Surplus Center site and saw some that look like they would work but have not measured my stuff yet. If they match it looks like a very easy mod. Not near as complicated as Robs. The next thing you need to do is get a 2-stick valve to raise and lower each side---mount some place convenient---then the hoses and fittings to get into the hydraulic system. Sounds pretty easy---just have to go thru the steps. The cylinders have taps on them for a check valve--or you could plug them. Which leads me to ask just how important are the check valves???
My problem is this---I have a thousand foot driveway that needs constant grading---(my wife calls it a dry creek bed)---when it rains hard it becomes a small river washing all my stone into the street. Even the 4 inch ballast gets washed out---the township usually comes by and pushes it back into my driveway. Since I got the tractor and rear blade I dragged it out a few times and got it OK---but not real good. Need to get more stone and need to swale it to slow down the flow and get it to the side, especially at the turn about 200 hundred feet from the street. I'll post some pics on Photobuck, although I shouldn't, since it's embarrassing to own the equipment I have and a driveway as bad as it is. George

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #9  
George,
You got the basics down. Measure the closed and open length of the adjustable side links on your tractor and try to match them with a hydraulic cylinder that has those lengths (open and closed). I went with a little longer stroke cylinders for mine to gain more movement and also to get down pressure when they are fully extended. But you need to check if your swivel balls allow more movement or not.

The double pilot operated check valves are an option, not a necessity. They help retain the position of the cylinder and help reduce/prevent leak down. I put them on mine because it's a good idea and CCM Hydraulic top link, Top-N-Tilt, Side link sells them that way for their top n tilt systems. Once the position is set, it stays until I move it. I also hard plumbed them onto the cylinders in case I had a hose blow.

/ CONVERT TPH TO INDEPENDENT LEFT/RGT. OPERATION #10  
Most of us understand that time, money, ability, knowledge and available equipment all come into play when we look at another's projects. I don't recall anyone making very much fun of anyone's projects, and don't think yours will be either.
Post your pictures, so we can get on with the problem.
David from jax