Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #1  

svdsinner

Tractor
JD4020 w/46A Loader
Earlier this year, I rolled the dice at a garage sale and spent $40 on a Craftsman chipper/shredder with an engine that didn't start.

I tried some stuff and never could get the engine running, and ever took it to an local small engine shop and they told me it would be $300+ to get the old engine running.

I've been learning to weld/fabricate, etc. in the last few years and I thought it would be a cool project to remove the broken engine from the shredder, fabricate a mount and a 3 pt. hitch, and build a belt drive system to run the shredder at its standard RPMs off my tractor's PTO.

Although if it works, I'll get lots of use out of the shredder, this is 50%+ motivated by my desire to learn and practice fabrication skills, so I don't care if it is "more work than it is worth" or that the end product will be doomed to break (as long as it doesn't explode or create shrapnel or some other safety hazard) I'm aware that hooking a chipper/shredder designed for a 6hp small engine will, quite likely, grind its own teeth off over time when hooked to a 95HP PTO, even if a do use a belt system to keep it at the right speed and allow things to slip a bit. (That said, I do plan on giving this my best try to make it durable and workable and useful. I have an engineering degree and have reasonable odds of getting this to work. However, if I learn good stuff during the project, and the whole thing goes "poof/creak/bend/crunch" and destroys itself, I won't cry.)

A few things I'd like to learn/practice:
1) General practice welding/fabricating
2) How to build the implement end of a 3pt hitch.
3) How to build a "gear box" to convert a 540RM PTO to whatever is normal for a chipper. (I think small engines routinely run at 2200RPM, but I'm going to ask the shop where I took it and they said it wasn't worth fixing.) I know how to do the math/theory, but I'm sure there will be real-world issues like belt-tension that I'll need to figure out.
4) General stuff on how to fabricate with rotating parts and PTO shafts. All my welding/etc. has been on non-moving things. I know I'll need to support things like bearings, etc. Not sure the best/most economical way to do this.
5) What prefab PTO parts are available (Shafts, U joints, etc.), where to buy them and a vague knowledge of prices for future projects.

Any advice as I undertake the project?

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #2  
I would just get the $99.00 6.5hp gas motor from harbor freight tool and change out the old motor.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #3  
OK, I thought you were going to convert it to a tractor with 20 PTO hp or less, but there is no way that converting it to 95 PTO hp is going to work or be safe!!! :eek::confused2: That's roughly 16 times the power of the original engine!!! :confused2:

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #4  
Attaching that thing to a way more powerful tractor PTO will give you nothing but trouble. First, it's a hammer type shredder ( NOT a chipper!) designed to spin at high speed. Running it on a 540 or even a 1000 rpm PTO will be far too slow. So you'll get an overpowered device that won't shred anything. At best it's good for twigs and leaves, so you gain nothing by adding power.
Do the engine replacement.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt
OK, I thought you were going to convert it to a tractor with 20 PTO hp or less, but there is no way that converting it to 95 PTO hp is going to work or be safe!!! :eek::confused2: That's roughly 16 times the power of the original engine!!! :confused2:
No, not really. A 540RPM PTO spins at 540RPM no matter what the load (assuming you set the tach for PTO speed). The tractor isn't going to wantonly apply all 95 HP and make the PTO spin super fast. Governors are governors and PTO speeds are reasonably consistent no matter whether there is no PTO load or 90HP of PTO load.

Like I said, I'll build a pulley gearbox to make the main shaft spin at whatever speed it is designed for. (Yes, I know that 540 or 1000RPM would be too slow unless I use a gearbox) The only real impact of having tons more HP is that the blades aren't going to slow down under load near as much, and if I do something stupid like throw metal into the feeder, it will tear itself up instead of simply killing the motor. (Hopefully, if I design the belts right, it will just burn up a belt instead of grinding itself into oblivion in that scenario)

Djames55,
I can't just swap in a cheap Chinese motor. The thing has weird motor mounts/etc. and isn't conducive to a motor swap. Plus, like I was clear about earlier, this is a learning project, not just a "do it easiest and cheapest" project. I want to learn about PTO shafts and 3pt hitch stuff, and I figure this is a good project to help me learn.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #6  
Go for it :thumbsup: ;)

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #7  
I would say do it, but since there is a big power difference, add in some sort of a shear pin to the drive system, just in case you feed it something it won't digest.

Shear pins are great for this type of thing. Maybe one for an outboard motor? Looking at the original drive system sizes, plus finding out from a Sears repair shop what the operating RPM's are will tell you how to gear your PTO drive.

Sounds like a fun project.

Good luck.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #9  
I took a 3 PTH 5 " chipper shredder and made a conversion kit to make it run off of a 20 HP lawn tractor. I did not ruin the chipper as I had it running the other day chipping up 4 30 footer pine trees in the 3 PTH mode on the home property. The lawn tractor mode is when I transport it 100 miles away.
Craig Clayton

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #10  
There is only one way to learn fabrication skills.... by doing. I love the challenge and it allows me to buy new tools to complete the job ( now the search for a plasma cutter is on ). I have drawn options on cardboard, tacked pieces together, and have learned there are more ways than one to get a particular result.
My latest project will be a lawn vacuum pto powered ( because my trailer unit is too bulky ) and collecting parts for a dump trailer to haul rock ( which I am blessed with alot of ). A grinder, Ellis bandsaw, Lincoln power mig and sturdy welding bench are " must haves ".
Don't be afraid to tackle metal. Its as easy to work with as wood and many times stronger. You will find your mind runs a hundred miles an hour when you choose between options and the final project gives you more reassurance you can. Good luck !