Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #11  
I agree with rswyan--go for it! Nothing like the smell of burning welding rod and diesel fumes to get the creative juices flowing. Short of making a nuisance of yourself or stealing proprietary ideas, copy good designs by others. If you commonly carry a digital camera, take pictures. Ask like-minded friends if you can help them, and learn as you go. Stay tuned to this forum, and others like it. Browse thru the posts and read any that sound interesting for your project du jour. Gather all the information and opinions you can, and learn to sort the straight poop from the BS.

When you are at a stage when you can ask a focused question, you can expect several good answers from the guys on this site. Good luck, and we'll be looking forward to pictures as you progress.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #12  
My thought would be to use the PTO to drive a Hydraulic pump that would flow enough power to spin it.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #13  
I have one of these chippers too. never use it because I have to move it around the yard by hand and the results aren't worth the beating taken to make it feed. I'de like to hook mine up to a 3-point too and make something to help pull the limbs in without takeing a beating in the process. Might be able to adapt one to do this, but that may cost more than a used one already to hookup. I'm not that much on chipping or mulch around the place, but it would be nice to have.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #14  
I bet you have never used a cheap chipper like that. I can't wait to see this thing. Please make a video the first time you use it. They have a 5 to 8 hp motor for a reason. It's called 14 to 16 gauge metal. It will not hold up and will kill you.:thumbsup:

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #15  
Well, if he puts something in there to limit the amout of force the chipper will absorb, ie. a clutch or shear pin etc, there is no way it will do any more harm than if it had less power. The controlling factor isn't the engine, it's the drive system. If that has a safety built in, I see no problem.

He's not gonna run it at 10,000 rpm just because he has the horsepower.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #16  
When designing the gearing, consider that you will have plenty of power with your tractor at idle Only the tractor PTO won't be spinning at 540 RPM. Thus, I'd design for idle PTO speed and not 540.
Mike

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #17  
sounds logical. now you don't have to pull the small chipper around by hand or start another engine. any ideas on limiting the pto power and how to make the limbs feed easier? possibly a relief valve to limit hyd. pressure?

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #18  
When designing the gearing, consider that you will have plenty of power with your tractor at idle Only the tractor PTO won't be spinning at 540 RPM. Thus, I'd design for idle PTO speed and not 540.
Mike

Exactly! :thumbsup:

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #19  
svdsinner and tglass - please keep us posted if you attempt this type of project - like svd, I had been planning to do the same thing - just as a learning experience.

In my case I had "inherited" an MTD chipper (6.5 HP) for free a couple of years ago - it runs great, but was missing the leaf hopper (not a big deal because I wanted it mainly for chipping). With my typical OCD though, I wanted a "complete" unit - but the part was almost $300 - so I just monitored CL till a cheap one (<$100) popped up. Scored one for $75 that was missing the carb. So now I have a complete working unit and one without motor and hopper - perfect for a project.

Anyway - would be interested to compare notes...

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #20  
run it with a v belt and you can have any speed ratio you need and it will slip if somthing goes wrong easy to set up and your tractor will only use 5 hp or so seemes like a fun project keep us informed