Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #21  
I have an 8 hp Troybilt. I have burned the belt up a couple of times, so can attest to the stock sized belt drive train is a good 'give' design to start with.

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #22  
When designing the gearing, consider that you will have plenty of power with your tractor at idle Only the tractor PTO won't be spinning at 540 RPM. Thus, I'd design for idle PTO speed and not 540.
Mike

Good point Mike
Gear the thing so that the tip speed of the hammers is less than 5000 Feet per minute at idle put in a shear pin or a clutch and you will be good to go.
Mars

/ Converting a chipper/shredder to 3pt #23  
Check out this link:

http://www.deweze.com/manuals/Harper/CS MANUAL- COMPLETE updated.pdf

I just purchased a used version of this pto powered chipper/shredder. They use the same basic chipper/shredder body when it is powered by an air-cooled engine. There are photos of the drive pulleys and in the parts list the sheaves have a description which will give you number of belts/size/diameter. If your chipper/shredder is about this size this could be a good starting point as the engineering has already been done.

legal disclaimer: the above material is for reference and discussion purposes only. these things are dangerous and the chipper/shredder I have really sucks in the material(on the back of a ford 861-bout 45 hp).