Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help)

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #11  
Just make sure that the pump and motor are sized appropriately for the HP needed. In this case, 25 HP or so.

Also the pump and motor should have the same displacement to keep similar RPM's on the blower as the PTO. I would guess you are going to need something like a 10 cubic-inch pump to give you up near 20 GPM at 2000 PSI, needing about 30HP from the 540 RPM PTO to run it.

A 1000 RPM PTO can use a smaller pump to get the same flow.

The simple way to go is one of those pumps that slip right on the PTO shaft like a model HC-PTO-1A. I have seen them for about $350 new - could be half of that if you can find a used one.

A 20 or 30 gallon hyd tank is going to be about $100. The 20 or 30 gallons of fluid will not be cheap, either. You might be able to use a smaller tank if you add an oil cooler in the line somewhere, but a coolr with a 12v fan for 20 GPM might cost $189 or so. However, the oil cooler would also make a great cab heater when using it for snowblowing!

The motor will need to b about 10 cubic inch displacement to match the pump to keep the RPM's about the same. Since reversing is not an issue, nor is low-flow or locking performance an issue, you can use a larger variety of motor types - almost any motor with the right displacement and rated for 20 gpm continuos flow at 2000 PSI will work for this application. If a non-reversing type, make sure it spins the desired direction!
I have seen appropriate motors in the $350 range.

- Rick

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #12  
OK,
Two hours of going through my history. But I found the place. Lorenz Mfg. Co. in Benson, MN. I didn't notice first time around that the bottom of the page state's no Mid-PTO or low profile tires.
Then again, I just wanted the pictures for ideas when it comes time. My LuckNow was 1500$ and I think it was fair to say that a front mount blower was going to be a min. of 5000$
That leaves roughly 3500$ to spend on the project to break even. My goal is 1000$ First I will have to check out the issue with the mid PTO and see what kind of room I have. Then it will be a matter of coming up with the gear-box on the PTO & a drive shaft to the front. The rest I plan on picking up "out back." Anyone know if Nothern (or equiv.) has that gear-box?

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #13  
Actually, I have a front-mount blower for my JD 4100 that I would like to swap for a 3-point unit because I hardly ever use it. I mostly leave the plow blade on front. It would be handy to just leave a 3-point mounted blower on the back for the winter as ballast and on hot standby for those few times I do need it.

So, if your blower was smaller, and your machine was a JD4100, 4010, 4110, or 4115, I would just trade with you.

Maybe there is somebody else out there in a similar situation as me with the right combination of equipment to just swap with.

- Rick

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #14  
20 or 30 gal. tank! Not necessary. You can easily run it with a tank size as small as 3 gallons even if you have a pump that's rated for say 10-12 gpm. Most blower motors are sized around 10-12 gpm. The motor provides a resistance to flow so it will not really be flowing at the maximum rated flow. The actual flow is also affected by the rated flow of your control valve. So if that's less than the pump rating it will be even less than that value. More capacity is always better from a cooling perspective so go as big as you can. I've built tanks cheap by simply using large square tubing like 6x6 or 8x8, weld on some end caps and bungs and you're all set. Usually costs me around $10.00 bucks to make. I've also built auxilary hydraulic systems for large frame garden tractors to run hydraulic blowers, tillers, etc. The smallest system tank I had was 3 gallons and had no heat problems. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe there is somebody else out there in a similar situation as me with the right combination of equipment to just swap with.

- Rick )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifTake cover.... Everyone is going to be all over this one......

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #16  
<font color="green"> 20 or 30 gal. tank! Not necessary. You can easily run it with a tank size as small as 3 gallons even if you have a pump that's rated for say 10-12 gpm. </font>

To get 25HP transferred to the blower at 2000 PSI, the flow is going to need to be closer to 20 GPM.

I do agree that you can probably fabricate a tank a lot cheaper than buying one.

If you are trying to transfer 25 HP, you will probably dump at least 5 to 8 HP into the fluid as heat. Thats going to make it hot pretty quick. Assuming no other oil cooler, the main function of the tank is to conduct the heat out of the fluid through its large surface area. With a small tank, how do you get rid of the heat?

Maybe the answer is that the snowblower is only going to need the full torque on a peak or intermittent basis, so the average power transfer, and thus the average heat loss will be much smaller?

- Rick

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #17  
Not trying to be smart, but you simply could trade your current tractor in on a ZETOR tractor equipped with front mount 3 point & PTO.

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help)
Another thing that makes this site great - never even crossed my mind to get a new tractor - how could I have been so short sighted? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Things have changed on my hobby farm so it might be a very good time.

What Zetor model(s) includes the front 3PH and PTO?

Are there any other brands with this feature?

Bob

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #19  
I just bought a Zetor 4341.1 62HP with shuttle reverser cab/air/heat. #3000 lift loader #6800 lift 3 point. Sales info showed a factory installed 3 point with front PTO. I think their smallest tractor is a 40 HP. Zetor pricing will knock your socks off! I've been looking for 2 years for a good used Deere priced right. The cab models have a stiff price premium since most of these utilities are open station. Don't know about your location but with killer mosquitos buzzing around now, a cab adds another layer of safety

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #20  
Bob- All the Range 1 Supers have a front 3-point and a front mount PTO (1000 RPM) optional. 33 Series 43 Eng, 40 PTO
43 Series 62 Eng, 56 PTO, 63 Series 69 Eng, 62 PTO, and
73 Series 81 Eng, 73 PTO
Chuck M.
Also Buhler/Farm King makes a comercial hydraulic snow blower,