Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help)

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #22  
Bob,
Have you seen THIS in the classified section?

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help)
Thanks
Yes, I saw the ad and sent an email to the seller but I haven't heard back. I don't know how else to contact him. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bob

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #24  
Sorry to hear that, I guess you have searched fot the model he listed?

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #25  
I just thought I would jump in here with my two cents about hydralic blower conversions now that I got around to scanning a couple of photos. I used to own a 5ft one that I converted myself from 3ph to fel mount. The tractor was an L245DT and as I quickly learned these are not really the best with the blower on the 3ph for a few reasons. One being that with only two reverse gears, RL was still too high to deal with more than 6 inches of snow. Second, the unit did not have live pto and if you had to stop, the blower would also stop turning with a full load of snow in it and usually ended up plugging the chute upon restarting. By putting it on the front I gained a couple of lower gear ratios and the ability to keep the unit running constantly, not to mention the usual advantages like looking forward and having the blizzard of snow further away from me. If I remember right I ended up with a 28 GPM pump through the formula of one gpm per hp of transfer. THe tractor was rated at 25hp. I had it direct coupled to the spline on the front of the engine crankshaft with a lovejoy coupling at the pump. I calculated the flow at 3000rpm based on the ci displacement of the pump and selected an appropriate hydralic motor to give me the right impeller speed. The valve I used was good for 30 gpm with 2500psi relief setting. This was just right as a few times I hit something with the auger and it actually stalled the blower without shearing a bolt or stalling the tractor. Rick is right on with the tank sizing, I had 25 gallons in mine and it would heat up pretty good after an hour or so of use, I never actually measured but I'd estimate 150F. The unit was mounted at the bucket pivots and had a 3ph top link to adjust the angle of attack. The bucket roll circuit was used to rotate the chute through a linkage as you can see in my third pic. The cylinder on the right side was locked solid so it couldn't move. I also employed the use of a pair of check chains to limit the height it would raise and protect the hoses from streching too far, although I could still get it up about 16 inches off the deck. This unit worked excellent, I used it for five seasons before I parted with it. It would throw snow about 30-35 feet and I could chew into anything, my shop had a steel roof and the pile that would slide off would get 5ft high and solid as concrete yet I could chop away at it and send it flying. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

Attachments

• 386194-L245DT-1.jpg
    386194-L245DT-1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 617
   / Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #26  
Here's the other side. The hydralic tank is one I made from scratch with a proper suction strainer and a filter on the return. The valve was mounted on top of the tank and actuated by a lever next to the loader valve that would pull it by a cable

Attachments

• 386195-L245DT-2.jpg
    386195-L245DT-2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 791
   / Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #27  
Here's a closer view showing the linkage for the chute rotation.

Attachments

• 386196-L245DT-3.jpg
    386196-L245DT-3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 501
   / Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #28  
Here's one showing the unit in action cleaning up the side of my shop, the building was 60 ft long. and I would try to keep ahead of it and had to do it at least couple times a season. One year before I started doing this it piled up too much and caved in the steel in a few places. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachments

• 386197-L245DT-4.jpg
    386197-L245DT-4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 522
   / Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help)
Hi Steve
That is a very impressive piece of work.
I am curious about a number of things but let me start with four questions:
1 - what was your total investment (approx) for the conversion?
2 - how much shop time di it take?
3 - was there any issue with weight distribution having the tank at the front AND on the right side (versus centred or all the way across the frame or at the rear of the tractor.
4 - If you were doing it again would you do anything differently?

Thanks very much.
Bob

/ Converting a Snowblower to front mount (help) #30  
Hey Bob,
How are you doing?
Totally different direction in the conversation here but have you considered driving frontwards through the snow with the blower on the back facing the front?
I know for certain I have seen a picture of a modern auger-type blower that can be mounted this way somewhere on the net, but of course I can't find it now.
I did find this which looks to be an older and maybe bigger thing than you want.
I have an old V type that faces frontwards and I find I have no problems with driving through the snow (a set of chains really helps).
Jim