Coolant leak jinma 284

/ Coolant leak jinma 284 #11  
Frost plug, freeze plug, soft plug, all the same thing. Some are a domed disk that you put in with the dome facing out, then strike the dome to flatten it somewhat causing it to seal against the wall of the hole. It seems to me that these have fallen out of favor the last few years. The other style is a cup shaped disk that you put in with the cup facing out. The outer walls of the cup are slightly tapered so it is larger at the open end. You drive these cups into the hole so that the open end faces out.
The style you have is the cup style. They are the easiest to install and get a good seal.
To remove either style, you drill a hole in the center large enough to insert a pry bar of some kind and lever it out of the hole. Some people use a slide hammer that uses a sheet metal type screw on the end. Drill a pilot hole, thread in the screw and then slide the hammer to tap it out.

Carefully clean the bore of the hole and use emery cloth to polish out any burrs. I believe that there are sealing compounds (like loc-tite) that can be used on the new plug to insure the seal.

If this were my project and I wasn't racing the clock for some reason, I would pull the radiator and remove the radiator support. You already have the fan and pump out of the way so you have a good start. Then pull the timing cover, internal parts and finally remove the timing case to gain access to the plug.
Then replace the plug and reverse all the steps. New gaskets and seals as you go. At this point I would probably replace all the hoses and thermostat, just because they are so much easier to do with all the other stuff out of the way. I would also try my best to flush the block and radiator at this time. Fill with water and test for leaks if all is well, drain and refill with the appropriate coolant mix.

This is a fair amount of work, but none of it is very complicated. Removing the old plug will probably be the most challenging part. You want to be really careful not to cause any scratches or other damage to the inside of the bore hole of the block. That would make it really hard to get a good seal with the new plug.

But as I said earlier, I would spend some time figuring out how to put some pressure into the coolant side of the block (5 to 10 psi) and make sure there was fluid above that plug. With pressure in the block you should be able to easily confirm that it is indeed the plug that is leaking. Clean and dry with an air hose first to make darned sure that is where the leak is before committing to all that work. The reason I say this is that in that location, the cup of the plug is acting as a small dam that could just be catching output from a leak elsewhere and allowing it to puddle up against the plug, making it look like the plug is leaking when all it is really doing it holding the fluid in place.

Best of luck. Take lots of pictures as you go and if you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask questions. That is why this forum exists.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284 #12  
If the soft plug ( is that the same as a freeze plug?)is the problem how difficult a job is it to fix it? I am mechanically inclined but not too knowledgeable about diesel engines.
Yes, the same, but they aren't really "freeze plugs". Many blocks have cracked because the core plugs didn't pop out. They are casting core plugs that are used to remove casting sand from the manufacturing process. They aren't difficult at all to replace, same as in a car engine, but what adds to the difficulty is the access to them. In your case though, it looks like you may have to remove the timing gear case cover. This would not be unlike doing the job on a Chevy or Ford where you would have to remove the radiator and some other interferences.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284
Yes, the same, but they aren't really "freeze plugs". Many blocks have cracked because the core plugs didn't pop out. They are casting core plugs that are used to remove casting sand from the manufacturing process. They aren't difficult at all to replace, same as in a car engine, but what adds to the difficulty is the access to them. In your case though, it looks like you may have to remove the timing gear case cover. This would not be unlike doing the job on a Chevy or Ford where you would have to remove the radiator and some other interferences.
Sorry for my ignorance, but if the plug is behind the timing gear case, why is the water coming out above that location? Wouldn't the water seek it's lowest level, that being the plug as it is lower than the pictured cavity? I'll try to pressurize as piper 184 recommended and see what happens.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284 #14  
My apologies. I don't think I knew that. So the leak is above the coolant pump?

/ Coolant leak jinma 284
My apologies. I don't think I knew that. So the leak is above the coolant pump?
The leak is coming from that cavity behind the water pump but it seems to be above the timing gear assembly. Could it be that it's got a leak at the head gasket and it's working its way down to that cavity somehow? The head gasket had been replaced a while ago. The hour meter stopped working at 164 hours so it's been broke for a while. I'm out of town for a week and not able to investigate much more. I'll jump back on the thread when I get back into town.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284 #16  
That cavity has the soft plug in it. My bet is the plug is rusted through and it is leaking. The coolant pools up against the back side of the timing case until it reaches the top, then flows out over the case.
Do you have a parts manual for the engine?
If not, tomorrow I can scan the page from mine and post it here.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284
That cavity has the soft plug in it. My bet is the plug is rusted through and it is leaking. The coolant pools up against the back side of the timing case until it reaches the top, then flows out over the case.
Do you have a parts manual for the engine?
If not, tomorrow I can scan the page from mine and post it here.
That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284 #18  
Actually here is a better image than I can scan:
Cylinder Block & Flywheel - Y385 Engine
The plug you need is #43 in the image. Just hover over it with the mouse and it will auto zoom in. Interestingly, there is no part number listed for #43, but the part number for #29 is the same as #43 from my printed manual. Y480G-01109

The next page you will need to look at is here:
Timing Gear - Y380 Engine
Even though it is listed as the Y380 engine from what I can tell the part numbers are the same as from my Y385T book.
From what I can see, you will need to take all pieces out of the timing gear housing in order to remove the housing so that you can get to that plug. It is unfortunate that it is designed that way but the casting process may have left them no alternative.
Unfortunately for you, that means removing the hydraulic pump on the right side and the injection pump on the left side. All the gaskets and seals will need to be replaced as well.
Take lots of pictures as you go and make witness marks on everything so you can get it back exactly the same as it was.
It might not hurt to give them a call at Circle G or Affordable Tractors to make sure they have all the parts you need and maybe get some advice from their service departments. They both have good reputations. Another good place is Ranch Hand Supply although last I checked they did not have much information online.

/ Coolant leak jinma 284
Actually here is a better image than I can scan:
Cylinder Block & Flywheel - Y385 Engine
The plug you need is #43 in the image. Just hover over it with the mouse and it will auto zoom in. Interestingly, there is no part number listed for #43, but the part number for #29 is the same as #43 from my printed manual. Y480G-01109

The next page you will need to look at is here:
Timing Gear - Y380 Engine
Even though it is listed as the Y380 engine from what I can tell the part numbers are the same as from my Y385T book.
From what I can see, you will need to take all pieces out of the timing gear housing in order to remove the housing so that you can get to that plug. It is unfortunate that it is designed that way but the casting process may have left them no alternative.
Unfortunately for you, that means removing the hydraulic pump on the right side and the injection pump on the left side. All the gaskets and seals will need to be replaced as well.
Take lots of pictures as you go and make witness marks on everything so you can get it back exactly the same as it was.
It might not hurt to give them a call at Circle G or Affordable Tractors to make sure they have all the parts you need and maybe get some advice from their service departments. They both have good reputations. Another good place is Ranch Hand Supply although last I checked they did not have much information online.
Thanks for all the info and links. I'll pressurize when I get back to it later this week.