Cordless Drills

/ Cordless Drills #61  
i know, i know...i sound like a broken record: but....the ridgid brand battery operated tools come with a 3 year warranty: even if you don't want to register them for the lifetime warranty: i bought a couple off ebay, just because they were cheap an still had a couple years of the 3 year warranty left: if your putting on a metal roof, get their hammer drill or impact driver: makes it go a lot faster.
heehaw

/ Cordless Drills #62  
i know, i know...i sound like a broken record: but....the ridgid brand battery operated tools come with a 3 year warranty: even if you don't want to register them for the lifetime warranty: i bought a couple off ebay, just because they were cheap an still had a couple years of the 3 year warranty left: if your putting on a metal roof, get their hammer drill or impact driver: makes it go a lot faster.
heehaw

I have a Rigid 14.4v Impact driver and it is a nice tool but I am not impressed with the battery life. It has never lasted very long even when new. It only came with one battery so I have to plan accordingly, if I find a good deal on another tool with battery or a good deal on another battery I will get one just to make this tool more useful.

/ Cordless Drills #63  
Another little trick I do at the register when I have to buy the last product that was obviously opened, I make the girl at the register sign her name verifying that the product was already tampered with. Sure enough all the parts were not in the box and the return was made simple with the register receipt from REGISTER #1.

Very good tip about buying Open merchandise...

/ Cordless Drills #65  
Robert, the tag on my new drills say "0-750/min(RPM)", but I don't see anything about torque.

Ok, it doesn't surprise me really. I just know the Craftsmans and DeWalts I use do list the torque on the id tag (well at least on the models I currently use).

/ Cordless Drills #66  
Seems like years ago Consumer Reports tested rechargeable batteries. I think they cut open a D cell and determined that the actual battery part was the same size used in the AA cell's they were testing at the time. I wouldn't be too surprised if the actual batteries inside the casing were the same for a lot of brand names, but the casing are made differently for the various brands.

That is true of rechargable batteries, but cordless tools are a different animal. For instance the NiCads all use 1.2 volt cells in series to achieve whatever voltage they are rated at. Some of the individual cells have a much larger storage capacity than others and they are used to produce the batteries with the larger amp hour ratings, such as the Dewalt XRP series and the Milwaukee 18 volt NiCads. Any of these premium cells will give great performance compared to consumer rated tools. The lithium Ion batteries take this to the next level. They don't loose charge from sitting around like the NiCads do. But It has been my experience that they will all suffer diminished capacity if stored in a cold invironment, such as left in the truck overnight when it is below freezing.:cool::cool::cool:

Go to the light...Lithium Ion is where its at. Go there and you will never go back.

/ Cordless Drills #67  
I think thisPanasonic drill was probably the one mentioned in another forum about cordless drills.

We had a Milwaukee cordless in our shop for maybe a year, it recently died with a failed gear on the low speed setting. It is made in China.

/ Cordless Drills #68  
My 8 year old Niece/God Daughter asked for a cordless drill for Christmas... she's been asking for one since the summer...

I talked it over with her Mom and she confirmed it and said it was OK...

Went out tonight and bought a compact 18v lithium Milwaukee Drill and Impact Driver set with 2 batteries...

Kind of went overboard... thought about it for awhile and decided to use a store credit I had to offset most of the purchase price.

Gave her a tool set a couple of years ago and she has taken very good care of it...

I think the best part is her Mom and Dad keep asking her to borrow her tools... she tells them it is OK as long as they ask and put them back...

I can just see my brother asking his daughter to borrow her Milwaukee... the gift that keeps giving...

Last edited:
   / Cordless Drills #69  
Peyton has his own tools and a workbench with a vice on it. For his 9th birthday, I gave him a Ryobi saber saw. It has a laser and quick attach for T shank blades. For what he does, it's a great little saw. Not near what my DeWalt is, but still a good deal for the money.

For Christmas, I'm going to give him a Ryobi corded drill and a set of drill bits. He knows not to use power tools without me being around, so I'm looking forward to him having his own drill.

Eddie

/ Cordless Drills #70  
my dewalt 14V has done well for many years. I did have one battery melt in the charger and found it cheaper to just buy a new set with a new drill and charger. I noticed Costco no longer carries dewalt, they now have hitachi.