Cordless grease gun

/ Cordless grease gun #1  

ae_ted

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1040
I have a 2002 Kubota ZD21 mower that requires greasing every mowing. I like the durability and all but that is getting to be a lot of greasing and I am wondering if a cordless gun might be worth it. Are they really that much better than a manual gun and are the Harbor freight guns any good??? Thanks for all opinions and help!

/ Cordless grease gun #2  
I bought a pneumatic grease gun from HF. It was about 15 bucks and works fine. HF tools aren't the greatest in the world, but if you know you're going to beat them up or use them infrequently, they're a good deal.
Only way you'll know if the cordless gun works for you is go buy one. Looks like a 12 volt, rechargable unit is about 70 bucks.

BTW, I use my pneumatic gun about every 10-15 hours of tractor use...had it for two mowing seasons now and it still does the job.

/ Cordless grease gun #3  
I have a air operated gun I bought from Northern Tool years ago and it has never failed me. I think I paid about $20 for it on sale. For one fitting break out the old manual one, but for lots of fittings dragging it out is worth it.

/ Cordless grease gun #4  
I have the electric HF gun and while I wouldn't call it flawless, it seems to be good value for the money.

It is hard to prime, and gets airlocked when changing tubes of grease, but once I learned the trick of making a blob of grease about the size of a walnut right over the pump intake when I change tubes, it is much better.

I wish it had an off-on switch because sometimes I pick it up and touch the trigger, which causes grease to be pumped out while the tube is waving around in the air.

All in all, I will never go back to manual grease guns.

/ Cordless grease gun #6  
All in all, I will never go back to manual grease guns.

Actually, I use a manual grease gun along with a cordless Lincoln (IMHO and industry opinion is that Lincoln is the only cordless to have) as well as pneumatic. I go through about 1 quarter barrel in pneumatic on larger equipment and about 4 or 5 cases of tubes a year. My cordless is a Lincoln 14.4 volt. I made the mistake and bought the kit with 2 batteries. You can save your money and buy the kit with just one battery unless you go through more than a half a dozen tubes at a time. The battery lasts forever. Still, for U-joints and pillow block bearings, I use a manual gun to be precise in the amount used.

I never fell for buying a Horrible Freight cordless, but Rural King got me with the same junk. It was a complete piece of garbage that never primed and had a junk battery. Being that a grease gun looks nasty after one use, they only exchanged the junk one for another. it found the trash can after about 15 minutes of jacking with it. When I worked in the mines, they only used Lincoln. When I subbed running construction equipment, they only used Lincoln. Now I see why. If you're retired and like trying how to get something to work that doesn't work, try a cheapo cordless. Maybe you can get one to work. If you want to just insert a tube of grease and go at it, buy a Lincoln.

/ Cordless grease gun #7  
I have a Lincoln Model 1442 cordless Powerluber. I'll never go back to manual or air grease guns again. Of all my cordless tools this one is the biggest time saver of all.

/ Cordless grease gun #8  
I have a Lincoln Model 1442 cordless Powerluber. I'll never go back to manual or air grease guns again. Of all my cordless tools this one is the biggest time saver of all.

Yup. That's identical to the Lincoln 1444 except you didn't pay for the extra battery you don't need. Seriously, how many tubes can you go through before you need a charge? I think I've gotten close to 6 tubes when going constantly on large equipment.

/ Cordless grease gun #9  
Yup. That's identical to the Lincoln 1444 except you didn't pay for the extra battery you don't need. Seriously, how many tubes can you go through before you need a charge? I think I've gotten close to 6 tubes when going constantly on large equipment.

You have to try one of these things to appreciate it. I have never had to bleed this gun. Never an air pocket. You know in a second when it's out of grease. You can hear it.

/ Cordless grease gun #10  
I agree with many here, I will never go back to only having a manual grease gun. The cheap ones suck. I love my Snap-On 18 volt, it never has had an airlock problem either. It comes in very handy for refilling track adjuster cylinders on Bobcat track loaders or excavators and digging boom cylinders on Ditch Witches. I had a 2-speed Lincoln 14.4v gun and accidently pulled the trigger with it in between high and low, I heard the gears grind and it never worked again. I have 3 different 18v Snap-On cordless tools and 4 batteries so there is always one on the charger. It is definitely capable of pumping at least 2 full tubes of grease between charges, I have never needed to pump more, so I'm not sure how many it could empty on a single charge. The Snap-On gun wasn't any more expensive than the Lincoln gun, and I have gotten far more life out of it.

Brian