CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #11  
Most likely she has had some other woman say that ramps are the best and that is why she wants it. Horses do not need a ramp to load .

That would be my guess to. What are the horses used for? If they are simple trail horses, what kind of trail horse can't handle a 12" step into a trailer, if they are hunter/jumpers and can go over a few feet of standards they should be able to handle a 12" step.
I'm not a horse expert by any means, still a newbie mostly, but my two horses are 23 and 21 years old and step up into a trailer just fine and back out just fine. As long s you don't have any sharp edges to act as a gouge or hook at the rear of the trailer floor everything should go just peachy.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #12  
I have a ramp trailer and if your training horses to load the ramp gets beat up fast . We are going to buy a new trailer next year and are getting a step up stock trailer

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #13  
That would be my guess to. What are the horses used for? If they are simple trail horses, what kind of trail horse can't handle a 12" step into a trailer, if they are hunter/jumpers and can go over a few feet of standards they should be able to handle a 12" step.
I'm not a horse expert by any means, still a newbie mostly, but my two horses are 23 and 21 years old and step up into a trailer just fine and back out just fine. As long s you don't have any sharp edges to act as a gouge or hook at the rear of the trailer floor everything should go just peachy.

Also from my experience a lot of people are intimidated because some horses get into the trailer with a little hop and it scares them. if they lead them in they feel in control. I have loaded hundreds of horses and the vast majority I taught them to load. I also hauled in a cow trailer and would just open the gates and they would jump in and I would reach thru and grab a rein and tie it off if we had several miles to go . but short trips I never tied them . People can make simple things a lot harder than they have to be.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #14  
We have a two horse Valley trailer. steel. Nothing fancy and it came with a steel ramp. It has springs to make lifting the ramp easier. However, my wife can't lift it, and I find it difficult to do so. So I installed a winch to lift the ramp. The nylon strap is out of the way when I use it, and my horses are quiet and unlikely to get tangled. (If you do make a ramp, don't use a pick-up bedliner spray to coat it - much too slippery. Horses go down on it.
This trailer has the spray liner- since replaced with Hawk Trailers flooring - much better and secure.) DSC_0014.JPG

New flooring - slippery ramps are not good. This is the ramp using the Hawks Trailer matting (ordered from their website). 3/4" plywood on top of the steel, with the matting screwed down on that.Kalli a at Robins 8 5 2015.jpg

Last edited:
   / CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #15  
I built a ramp for a steel McBride trailer last fall....

the trailer was built for it... and the ramp was missing. cost me about $500 CDN in steel and I'm no stranger to metal fab. you NEED to have some sort of spring assist.

Post pictures of the back of your trailer. specifically the rear bumper area and the current door set up

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #16  
build one out of plywood and carry it with you. simple for you and your wife gets a ramp

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp
63DD88B5-484C-49D3-9A8B-62CA1C6DA5BB.jpegF239BD3B-83A7-41FF-A2A0-CD92B6BF4257.jpeg

This is the back end. The left 1/2 of the door slides to the right. Also, the entire gate swings out, unlatching at the left and swinging the entire back gate, on a right hinge.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #18  
when we were kids and wen my kids were in High school we had horses, (actually for many years after that as pasture oranimates), and all we used was a old stock trailer, that they had to step up into, and out of never had a problem, I would be much more concerned about a ramp with them slipping on it and going down than a small step, over the years we most likely have over 15 different horses over the years.
and the only one that had problems was one horse that was loaded in to enclosed trailer and left to stand in the dark, and most likely the driver of that trailer was idiot driver, but the step was not the problem, did have one other one that was trailer shy, it was do to the fact that they had been smashed into the front of the trailer and jerked around by some idiot driver, they were scared of the ride, it self, not the trailer so much, but the ramp would not have made any difference,

to make a ramp work most likely your need a winch to raise it or lower it, as it will get heavy fast, and then some way to secure it,

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #19  
Here's some pictures of my trailer ramp the pin and springs run the width of the ramp 0406181215-00.jpg0406181217-01.jpg

Attachments

• 0406181215-00.jpg
    0406181215-00.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 68
   / CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #20  
This is an interesting approach to adding a rear ramp - It is an accessory for this company. Looks like it is aluminum - 1200. - But doing the same thing in steel and welding it in place, while leaving the doors that you have may be an idea to consider. Also you might get away with a shorter ramp.
Rear Add-on Ramps

Captureaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG