Correct engine idle speed during warm up??

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #1  

jodebg

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2650
Recently purchased a Kubota B7800.

What is the correct idle speed setting for winter warm up?

The manual says to set the throttle lever to the half way position
to start the tractor, but does not offer an idle speed during the warm up
phase.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #2  
Some, including me feel starting at half throttle is not a good idea. I'm not that experienced but don't like the feel and sound of starting at 1/2 throttle.

My Kioti DK35 says to set the throttle lever to the "neutral" position. I THINK that means idle. Mine always starts fine at idle and I always let it run several seconds or more depending on the ambient temperature and sound. There is a definite difference in sound from first start to several seconds later. Once it is running smoothly I increase it to about 1200 RPM and let it idle there for the warm up period (again depending on the temperature).

In the snow season I start the tractor and do hand clearing of sidewalks while the tractor warms up(approx. 20 minutes).

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #3  
I start my Ford tractors at full throttle, then VERY QUICKLY slow them to 1,000 rpms. My Kubota likes to start more near idle, then I leave it at idle, but it is only 10 years old.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #4  
i idle my tractor at 900rpms.thats the throttle pulled down as low as itll go.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #5  
A lot of diesels will not make heat unless they are turning 1300 or so RPM. A gas motor will warm up at idle, but a diesel... with all that cast iron.. usually big radiator.. won't make enough heat at idle to burn the fuel efficiently. Not saying race the cold motor, but get some RPM into it after you think the oil is circulating good... I let mine warm up around 1400 plus or minus... I also try to get the tractor moving after about ten minutes, to start warming up the rest.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #6  
Tach doesn't work on mine so after she fires up I just set the throttle at what sounds right - I'm guessing somewhere in the 1000 rpm range. Could be doing it completely wrong, but so far so good.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #7  
This comes up on a pretty regular basis and never has there been nor ever will there be a consensus. Over the years, I have tried several on different tractors, some now over forty years old. I now warm mine up at about 1200-1500RPM based on my manuals, but I sure don't know which is "best".

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #8  
I warm mine up at full throttle.

:laughing:

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #9  
I usually start mine at idle and then raise it to 1200 rpms. Any lower and it won't warm up. Plus idling a cold diesel can allow fuel to get past the rings and dilute the oil. Anyone else ever hear that? I was told that a long time ago and just stuck with it.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #10  
I start mine at about 1000 rpm's (idle is about 800) and once it smooths out and I feel everything is circulated, usually 1 - 2 minutes, I bump it to about 1200-1300 rpm. If it's really cold I'll let it there for about five minutes and then go to about 1600 rpm. This all depends on temperature though and I do it mostly by sound and feel of the machine.