Correct engine idle speed during warm up??

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #71  
I usually start mine at idle and then raise it to 1200 rpms. Any lower and it won't warm up. Plus idling a cold diesel can allow fuel to get past the rings and dilute the oil. Anyone else ever hear that? I was told that a long time ago and just stuck with it.

Ditto AND yes, a diesel should be idled at 1200 RPM or higher to prevent 'cylinder wash-down' :)

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #72  
Subscribed.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #74  
It's alive, IT'S ALIVE......!!!!!!!!!! :)

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #75  
There is a more current thread on this subject. Active in the last 2 weeks.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #76  
I find she cracks off about a 1/16 throttle around 1000 RPMs or so. I usually turn the engine over twice and then hit the glow plugs for ten seconds and the next turn will start. From there a few seconds to settle out and up to 1500 while we collect the tools etc. and off we go.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #77  
Apparent lean condition in cold temperatures is because the liquid fuel can't absorb enough heat to flash into vapour.
Hence using the higher power air to fuel ratio on cold starts.
Of course warmup is a mute point for anybody having the common sense to plug in the block heater. Instead of clattering a cold engine to life with starting assist devices .
The warm engine starts faster, less strain on the electrical system. Less cylinder wall wear and less crankcase oil dilution . Instant heat to the windshield defroster if so equipped.
Odd how the same guys who can't oil and filters at 100hrs and 3000 miles to "make the engine last longer". They have no concerns making that stone cold engine fire with grid heaters, flow plugs or ether.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #78  
Some people fuss and let thier tractor run and run and run to "warm up". Yet they jump into the car of truck, start it and have it yanked into gear while there is still a low oil pressure warning on the dash.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #79  
Some people fuss and let thier tractor run and run and run to "warm up". Yet they jump into the car of truck, start it and have it yanked into gear while there is still a low oil pressure warning on the dash.

I agree....I either warm the car or I barely idle up as I first drive out..