Cost of steel?

/ Cost of steel? #1  

DaBear3428

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5145
What should i expect to pay for 1/2" A36 hot rolled steel and where to buy?
any pointers of purchasing hobby qualities of steel and alumn?

/ Cost of steel? #3  
What should i expect to pay for 1/2" A36 hot rolled steel and where to buy?
any pointers of purchasing hobby qualities of steel and alumn?

Have u been to Federal Iron and Metal in Corpus? They probably have what u want and might sell drops at lower prices.

Address: 7414 Leopard St, Corpus Christi, TX 78409
Phone: (361) 882-1777
Email: tadler63@sbcglobal.net
Hours of Operation:
Sun Closed
Mon-Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

/ Cost of steel?
Have u been to Federal Iron and Metal in Corpus? They probably have what u want and might sell drops at lower prices.

Address: 7414 Leopard St, Corpus Christi, TX 78409
Phone: (361) 882-1777
Email: tadler63@sbcglobal.net
Hours of Operation:
Sun Closed
Mon-Fri 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thanks AWSubie, I work in CC so very helpful.

/ Cost of steel?
Buying at your locale steel yard has got to be waaaaay less expensive. Good call AWsubie
That was what I was thinking but I have been getting some crazy numbers, like $1400 for a 4X8 1/2" A36 plate. so I'm looking for some comparable real numbers to educate my BS detector.

/ Cost of steel? #7  
That was what I was thinking but I have been getting some crazy numbers, like $1400 for a 4X8 1/2" A36 plate. so I'm looking for some comparable real numbers to educate my BS detector.
652lb of plate will be costly. May I ask if you can get away with a smaller piece? I'd guess you have a used or cut-off retailer there as well. Should be less $$$.

Last edited:
   / Cost of steel? #8  
what are hobby quantities? Seems like my local hardware sells it in 3' lengths but it's probably cold rolled. Still...

/ Cost of steel? #9  
MetalsDepot currently shows it as $940.

But you'd have to ship it.

/ Cost of steel?
MetalsDepot currently shows it as $940.

But you'd have to ship it.

Federal quoted me $600 with local pickup, i good with that but the metal depot and other internet prices are 50% more which is what i expected. yes i can use smaller pieces but was looking for a direct comparison to get a handle on what i'm looking at as to price. I was hesitant to call the local distributer because i'm not ready to start buying steel / Al at this time, still building my new shop. I was just getting a little discouraged with the steel prices i was seeing.

Thanks to all for the insight