Cost of steel?

/ Cost of steel?
what are hobby quantities? Seems like my local hardware sells it in 3' lengths but it's probably cold rolled. Still...
is there an issue with using cold rolled that i'm not aware of?
I thought cold rolled was more expensive than hot rolled and had some better dimensional tolerances?

/ Cost of steel? #12  
Unless you specifically need that spec and/or new steel, check local scrap yards. Some (not many anymore) will allow you to browse and help you pull things out of the pile.

I just got about a 3.5' long piece of 3 or 4" angle iron 1/4" thick for $7 a couple weeks ago at a local car scrap yard for a project. It'll need cleaning up, of course, but the price was right for me.

They also had bent sheets, discards, old steel rack support legs that could be repurposed, gotta use the imagination.

But that's only if you don't need the spec like I mentioned.

Good luck in your search.

/ Cost of steel? #13  
Unless you specifically need that spec and/or new steel, check local scrap yards. Some (not many anymore) will allow you to browse and help you pull things out of the pile.

I just got about a 3.5' long piece of 3 or 4" angle iron 1/4" thick for $7 a couple weeks ago at a local car scrap yard for a project. It'll need cleaning up, of course, but the price was right for me.

They also had bent sheets, discards, old steel rack support legs that could be repurposed, gotta use the imagination.

But that's only if you don't need the spec like I mentioned.

Good luck in your search.
Our scrap yards keep all the plate steel for to sale to the public. I call them first.

/ Cost of steel? #14  
You might be overthinking this. .5 steel has very limited uses and 10 gauge to 3/8 is what I used to fix things 95% of the time. I'd suggest you go to a scrap iron lot and see what they got. Smaller chunks are lots easier to get home.

/ Cost of steel?
You might be overthinking this. .5 steel has very limited uses and 10 gauge to 3/8 is what I used to fix things 95% of the time. I'd suggest you go to a scrap iron lot and see what they got. Smaller chunks are lots easier to get home.
I agree and understand but when you are planning a 4X8 welding fixture table, you need the big pieces lol. I might think about 3/8s plate but that is not the scope of this conversation, my thinking is that i find the place that has the best value on a known commodity (4X8 1/2 inch) I can then trust their prices (within reason). I will look into the scrap yards for drops and smaller pieces but that is a random supply and not the best way for me to plan.

/ Cost of steel? #19  
For what it's worth, I've read that base prices (shipping not considered), of at least one online supplier were significantly lower for those who bought in person at their nearest facility. Can anyone here confirm or refute this?

/ Cost of steel? #20  
Steel is so ridiculously overpriced, i stopped doing plasma projects last year. On one project the price doubled WHILE i was doing the project.

on one gate project, we were quoted something like $800 for a stinking 5”x5” x 8 foot 1/4” post for a gate.

a few years ago that was a closer to $200 .