Cost of steel?

/ Cost of steel? #32  
Don't know your plan but I used catwalk grating with heavy angle iron on each end. Much easier to use clamps and stays debris free.

/ Cost of steel? #33  
That was what I was thinking but I have been getting some crazy numbers, like $1400 for a 4X8 1/2" A36 plate. so I'm looking for some comparable real numbers to educate my BS detector.

What are you going to do with it?

If you are going to cut it up and have a bit of drop left over, I have found that often I can have the parts water jet or laser cut locally for less than anyone local will sell me just one sheet for.

They purchase at much better prices than I get and the drop still has some value to them (Like they might already have drop pieces your project can be cut from, keeping them from having to use a new sheet). Lots of times I walk away with ready to use parts for less than a full sheet would have cost me before the work starts.

Thats coming from a guy that has his own CNC plasma and pantograph machines.

/ Cost of steel?
I have a small machine/fabrication company not far from me. For my DYI projects, I can generally find what I need in their cut-off/left-over rack that they'll sell pretty reasonably.
Maybe you can find a place like this. Good luck.
thanks, i will look into that

/ Cost of steel?
Don't know your plan but I used catwalk grating with heavy angle iron on each end. Much easier to use clamps and stays debris free.
got any photos of what you mean? sounds interesting.

Last edited:
   / Cost of steel?
What are you going to do with it?

If you are going to cut it up and have a bit of drop left over, I have found that often I can have the parts water jet or laser cut locally for less than anyone local will sell me just one sheet for.

They purchase at much better prices than I get and the drop still has some value to them (Like they might already have drop pieces your project can be cut from, keeping them from having to use a new sheet). Lots of times I walk away with ready to use parts for less than a full sheet would have cost me before the work starts.

Thats coming from a guy that has his own CNC plasma and pantograph machines.
i will check into that