Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #51  
Just because something works for a small island country like Australia .

A comment like this will lose Australian contribution to the debate.

Australia is close to the size of mainland USA.

Texas would be considered a SMALL state here..:laughing:

You have to work out your own method of gun control. As I said in one of my earlier posts I doubt an Australian style system would work or for that matter any "imported" method of gun control. You have to work out your own system.

The one thing that would worry as a parent is the thought of armed security guards at schools becoming involved with some crazy with a rifle resulting in a fire fight in school grounds.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #52  
A comment like this will lose Australian contribution to the debate.

Australia is close to the size of mainland USA.

Texas would be considered a SMALL state here..:laughing:

You have to work out your own method of gun control. As I said in one of my earlier posts I doubt an Australian style system would work or for that matter any "imported" method of gun control. You have to work out your own system.

The one thing that would worry as a parent is the thought of armed security guards at schools becoming involved with some crazy with a rifle resulting in a fire fight in school grounds.

I agree our constitution is vastly different than any other country...
Applying their laws here will not work....

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #53  
There is nothing wrong with Nuclear weapons in our hands.. No need to ban them. We are perfectly safe with Nukes, unless you are threatening us you will be fine. If you are then we will kill your *****. Why are we afraid of Nukes in the hands of North Korea and Iran? Because the are both run by insane people. yes that is right INSANE. We (the whole world) are afraid they will use them irrationally. There is nothing wrong with weapons in my hands, I will not harm you. Unless you are trying to harm me, then I will kill your *****. There are insane and criminal people that we would not like to have weapons, we need to address that.

Sanity is a very subjective thing. Nth Korea and Iran would consider western countries to be insane. I also think anyone wanting to posess and use high power rapid fire weapons to be insane. You probably think I am insane.

There is a very fine line between sane and insane. Many "normal" people suffer great stress at times and go, what you would call insane. Calls for all mentally ill people to be stopped from owning guns would not stop this situation.

Weedpharma

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #54  
First ban and eliminate all nuclear weapons. Before North Korea in its national paranoid mental illness sends the next rocket that actually works towards LA.
Or Israel takes out that Iranian nuclear plant, like we all know they will. Quite the game of global chicken going on there.
So, being as North Korea and Iran are ALREADY not allowed to have nuclear weapons, why do you think everyone else getting rid of theirs will make them peacefully get rid of their plans to make them illegally?

Aaron Z

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #55  
We are perfectly safe with Nukes, unless you are threatening us you will be fine.

They didn't work in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq. We were able, or unable, to achieve our ends with "smaller guns". Nuclear weapons
only work as a deterrent. And sadly likely not then. If the guy with the really bad haircut in North Korea wants to impress his new bride, he
really will do something "insane". But then some said us using nukes in WWII was insane.
My Uncle was in the Navy in WWII, later to get his own ship, a destroyer, but I always wondered if he would have come home alive if we had to continue a conventional
war by invading Japan. My Dad was a major in the AirForce and my Uncle at career end a Naval Captain. They did what they had to do. The crazies were running amok.

I sadly predict that some deluded fool looking for his dozen virgins is going to set off a tactical nuke in Haifa, or wherever, and the Middle East is going to go bonkers.
They will do so either before or after the Israelis wipe out that Iranian reactor. The question is how much do we get sucked into that part of the world again.
The use of nuclear weapons is considered so terrible, so morally reprehensible to kill so many innocent civilians, that why not get rid of them?
Put them all together with a big fuse, and store them to blow up the next asteroid headed our way. Put them to good use. Set any of them off on this planet and
almost all the inhabitants are affected. And never in a good way.

Btw, I think nuclear energy is our future, bring on the nuke power plants, but also bring on more water, solar and wind power too.
But nuclear weapons? I think we are like smokers with a bad addiction, and we are afraid to stop. But we can.
Just keep them in your back yard ready for the asteroids.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #56  
. I suspect you'd be testy if aomeone made a comment about Canadians benefiting from the umbrella of US protection.

FAILED

Your's is the only country who tried to invade us....again FAILED

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #57  
Second is history and tradition. Most of us that are zealous protectors of 2a (along with the other constitutional rights) have grown up around guns and had them all our lives. I can't remember a time without gun awareness, and holding one for the first time at age 5 or 6 is still a fond memory. I'll never forget getting knocked on my but the first time I fired Dad's 12g shotgun, nor the discipline I learned (and earned) about gun handling. I couldn't wait to give my son hist first gun (a 410 my granddad had given my dad), and a group of friend's and I combined resources to get a really nice gun for my god-son shortly after his birth. They live 10+ hours away, but his dad and I make sure we find time every year or so to get our boys together... often centered around hunting/fishing and just "plinking". This probably sounds extremely odd to those "in the rest of the civilized world" that aren't among the gentry or ruling classea (where gun ownership and utilization are much more comparable to our experience), but my point in sharing the above is to simply point out that for many of us this isn't about wanting guns... it's that they are just as much a part of the fabric of our lives as trucks, tractors, boats, fishing poles, whatever you consider part of your history and being.

I don't know why you think this is a uniquely American thing.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #58  
@ hchxoom:

It was not my intention to be condisending. The question was phrased from a point of view of someone that does not for a second understand the 2A and everything assosiated with it but it trying. I appreciate your response, it helped, Triple R: I know you were trying also.

Unfortunately, from an outsider's point of view there were many following comments that to me read (with a big puffy chest) "I'm an American and I can do what I want 'cause I say so". As someonen else said, sanity is subjective. US (and others) are quick to label Middle Eastern views as "insane" yet heaven forbid ask a question about something American?

I'm not against gun ownership. I don't understand the needs or desires to have a loaded one in every room of the house. I'm certainly not so nieve to think that gun control will elimiate crime. I do think that controling/limiting access would significantly reduce the opportunity for someone to go on a killing spree with legal guns. A pistol for protection? I disagree but can accept. A handful of rifles for hunting? I'm good with that (different game needs different gun right?) A loaded assult rifle? You loose me there. More ammo on hand than the local PD? I don't get that either.

My original question still stands: Is there similar gun (un)regulation to the US and mass shootings anywhere else in the world? It's just a question about fact, nothing about beliefs or rights or anything else.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #59  
Being right on the border with Canada I can't count the number of time friends have come down to the US to buy guns they can't legally buy up there. Usually pistols because, if I understand the law correctly, they need to be kept at a gun range. If I had to guess I bet there are a lot more guns in Canada than the people who think their laws are working just fine realize.

The gun laws are actually very similar between Canada and the US, believe it or not. The major differences are the transporting and storage regulations.

We are allowed to own Handguns and Semi's. Handguns require a separate permit, and some additional training, which is fine. Carrying a handgun in public is extremely restricted. Normally they must be unloaded, trigger locked, and stored in a secure case for transport. In the home, all guns must be kept in secure storage, unloaded, with ammunition stored separately. Magazine capacity is always limited to five or less rounds for long guns, and ten for handguns.

Biggest difference is that you have to have two guarantors to sign your license. Those people must be known to you for three years or more, and can't be your partner.

/ Could a Aussie tell us how your Government confiscated your guns? #60  
Exactly my point, Diesel. The words we use can create a visceral response, so we need to consider how a post will be received and not be offended if the response we get seems over-the-top (usually it stems from the reader perceiving our comments differentlu than we intended). Your reaction to my post proves my point. You took the quoted comment as a statement if fact... I intended it as a sample of something that could be misconstrued as an affront.

Status
Not open for further replies.