Country Manufacturing 2 Ton Dump Trailer

/ Country Manufacturing 2 Ton Dump Trailer #13  
Overall the weld quality was good.
I broke the welds on the mount for the tongue jack (marginal weld) and the mount for the rear hinge (likely due to the amount of weight I put in it)

I've hauled over 125,000 lbs of wet sheep manure and probably a similar amount (or more) of clay, topsoil, compost, gravel, etc. The sheep manure was heaped in the cart, and probably weighed a good bit in excess of 4,000 lbs .....

After 5 years my tires are holding up fine ..... no tubes yet .... although I did have one lose pressure ... after it sat for 3 years with no use .... :D

I have not had a chance to use it with a load.
Just keep in mind that it is entirely possible to overload it ..... particularly if you are hauling wet stuff (dirt, manure, etc.)

Would have been better if Country had either used heavier c-channel or rectangular tube for the center stringers ... with a little heavier components and better workmanship, the cart would easily be worth another $600 (to me anyways .....)

One of the reasons that I bought this trailer was that it was made in the U.S. I am not impressed with the quality.
I'm very sad to say ..... it was made in Ohio ..... :eek:

Maybe mine was made on Monday!!!!!
After having been to Country (to pick up my cart), I have a feeling every day is a Monday ..... :cool:

/ Country Manufacturing 2 Ton Dump Trailer #14  
I decided to purchase one of the CMI 2 ton dump trailers after reading favorable reviews. So, I will give some feedback on my experience.

First of all the paint job was pathetic. I do not mean spots that may have rubbed off on shipment. There are several places that if you rub your hand over the metal the paint just flakes off. Obviously the metal was never cleaned or prepped before spraying. There are also many spots that the paint is so thin that you can see the grey metal. I know this is a farm/yard implement, but I expected better.

Etced

Be very mindful of the bearings as they are "heavy roller bearings" used in heavy solid wheel carts in factorys.

Dont hesitate to grease the &*() out of it every day you use it with the red grease.

Be sure to order 4 spare bearings quickly to have them on hand, the folks at Gemplers or Kaman have them.

/ Country Manufacturing 2 Ton Dump Trailer #15  
I have to ditto what the last 2 posters said; grease the dickens out of it. and you can easily over load it with heavy materials such as dirt, gravel, or manure. w jones
:thumbsup:

/ Country Manufacturing 2 Ton Dump Trailer
Thanks for the great feedback.

One thing I did was to install a piece of metal roofing under the center floor boards. Just barely visible in this pic. I wanted to help keep sand/dirt from falling thru the floor board cracks onto the extended cylinder shaft.

Leonz,

After you replaced your wheel bearings, what was the condition of the soft axles?

Etced

Attachments

• DSCF0259 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0259 (Small).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 317
OK, time for a update.

I did contact CMI about my issues. They are going to credit me $100.00 for the bad paint and boards that I had to replace.

I voiced my concern about the bearings and axles. They told me that:

" they would last forever as long as I was diligent about keeping them greased. The only people that have bearing issues are the ones that do not regularly grease them or operate the trailer at higher speeds. The bearings will wear out before you see any wear on the soft shafts"

Interesting, I hope that I am proven wrong about the axles.

I have really been giving the trailer a workout today and tomorrow. Over the weekend I plan on pulling the wheels and look at the bearings and axles.

The hydraulic dump works great. It tilts up plenty high so that nothing is left inside to scrape out. Maybe if you had soft sticky clay, it could be an issue.

Etced

/ Country Manufacturing 2 Ton Dump Trailer #19  
They told me that:

" they would last forever as long as I was diligent about keeping them greased.
Probably true ...... :)

TThe hydraulic dump works great. It tilts up plenty high so that nothing is left inside to scrape out. Maybe if you had soft sticky clay, it could be an issue.
Even with wet clay/wet manure I've had very little in the ways of issues with the dump cart not clearing itself when dumped. I did screw down a piece of (non-PT) 1/4" or 3/8" plywood on the bed and I coated that with some old non-name brand ATF I had laying around ....

I'll probably replace the plywood some time over the winter .... after sitting outside for 3 or 4 years uncovered, it's looking pretty tired ...... :cool:

I moved 20 tons of chert this weekend and the trailer worked out good. Eventually I will change the sliding back gate to a swing style for better dump and run control. I did manage to get one flat tire, plugged it and continued hauling.

Since I had the tire off for plugging, I was able to inspect the soft axle for wear. The bottom of the axle showed some polishing but no grooves were present. I greased the axles twice a day to help keep out any grit since there are no seals.

Etced

Attachments

• DSCF0263 small.JPG
    DSCF0263 small.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCF0264 small.JPG
    DSCF0264 small.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 346