Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer?

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #11  
I agree with the others about finding a soil engineer. Do not talk to any foundation repair people until you have a engineer design a fix. Foundation repair companies as a whole are the worse of the worse crooks in the trades. Most go out of business every five years and start a new business because that's about how long their repairs last.

The crack is caused by movement in the soil. You have to know what the dirt is doing before you can fix it.

Eddie

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #12  
I agree with the others about finding a soil engineer. Do not talk to any foundation repair people until you have a engineer design a fix. Foundation repair companies as a whole are the worse of the worse crooks in the trades. Most go out of business every five years and start a new business because that's about how long their repairs last.

The crack is caused by movement in the soil. You have to know what the dirt is doing before you can fix it.

Eddie

I work for a large Commercial GC/Concrete Contractor and in my area, especially south of us, foundation issues are a big problem. Though it will be an added expense, does as Eddie says and involve an engineer. Make sure he is a licensed engineer. There are a lot of "engineers" floating around that quite frankly have no business calling themselves an engineer. Make sure he is independent of any company you pursue in making the repair. Try to find out what psi concrete was poured, the make-up of the concrete, rebar used and what type. Weather conditions, such as freezing, can cause concrete issues, especially if a substantial amount of moisture is present.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #13  
Concrete cracks are not unusual. In the past when we have had any cracking, if it was not opening or leaking and just a hairline, it would be left alone. If it is opening or leaking, first we would figure out why, and if it was drainage issues we would address that. Also would excavate down to the footing and V groove the crack, fill it with hydro cement and then rubberized coat the repair. We would also lay ice and water barrier against the wall before back filling. Then V groove the inside and pack it with hydrolic cement as well. On the inside we spend a bit more time to make it look pretty.

There you go, that's a plan. I work for an engineering company and unless you think there is some kind of major structural problem, you don't need an engineer. Cracking like you describe isn't that uncommon.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #14  
I am starting the process of finding an engineer. I am hoping it can all be done inside the basement and not involve the outside as I have a 20' wide deck on the other side of the wall. What ever it takes, I got to get it done the last thing I want is the sale falling through because of a crack. We worked hard to upkeep the home new roof, windows, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. I had the track home build seems like yesterday, everything wears out......good thing I am not getting old too...LOL

Can you see the dirt level under the deck? Did the dirt settle so rainwater builds up and pushes on the wall? The water has to be pitched away from the house because hydraulic pressure will do that to walls.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #15  
First off I am an engineer. In most states it is illegal to claim to be an engineer without having having the license. An engineer can tell if problem is structural or not and give method for repair. Engineers can and do lose their license for doing work they are not qualified to complete. for foundation repair I would get an engineer

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #16  
First off I am an engineer. In most states it is illegal to claim to be an engineer without having having the license. An engineer can tell if problem is structural or not and give method for repair. Engineers can and do lose their license for doing work they are not qualified to complete. for foundation repair I would get an engineer

My comment was not directed toward you, a legitimate licensed engineer. For example, my BIL graduated in engineering. He is not licensed, but whenever someone asks him or his wife what he does for a living, he is quick to say I am an engineer. IMHO, no license, no engineer. Unless you can "stamp" your work, in my line of work, we have no use for you or your input. Of course when I tell him or his wife this they argue until they are blue in the face. Hey, I took four years of biology in college, but I am no biologist. In our area, unfortunately, these mom and pop foundation companies are hiring these kids out of college who took four years of engineering, paying them a decent wage (60k-70k/yr) and having them give their "word" the repair is going to work and be permanent. Very concerning when you are dealing with your home's foundation. We agree-get a licensed engineer- it will be money well spent.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #17  
My son's college room mate is a licensed Civil Eng. in Mass. I never realized what a long process, with oversight on projects, it is to become licensed. It's not just a piece of paper.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #18  
My son's college room mate is a licensed Civil Eng. in Mass. I never realized what a long process, with oversight on projects, it is to become licensed. It's not just a piece of paper.

Exactly. That is why they make the money they make and earn the title. Nothing annoys me more than someone carrying a title they did not earn.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #19  
Exactly. That is why they make the money they make and earn the title. Nothing annoys me more than someone carrying a title they did not earn.

It depends on the specific field of engineering. I would probably annoy you beyond your wildest imagination.

I am an engineer. I have degrees in engineering from prestigious Universities. I have earned the right to be called an engineer. Over my lifetime I have designed and built: nuclear fuel processing plants, satellites, and payloads for satellites. Never once have I needed a license to do this, and I do not have a stamp. Now the guys who designed the buildings I worked in, they needed a license and they had to stamp the plans for the buildings.

In the field of electrical engineering, the guy who designs an electrical substation needs a license and a stamp. The guy who designs the computer that controls the substation, not only doesn't need one, if he said on a resume that he had the license probably wouldn't get hired.

In my private life, when I need to build a foundation or a retaining wall, I design it and then bring the plans to a licensed civil or mechanical engineer and pay him to check the plans and stamp them.

/ Cracked Foundation Contractor or Engineer? #20  
You are gonna need two Engineers. A soils engineer and a structural engineer.

And a geo tech report on the soil.