Cracked head 2000 tc35

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35
Bought the tractor as a fixer upper. Will get it running over time. Hopefully the block checks out. If the block checks out I will have a nice tractor for a inexpensive price. But we shall see I will post pics as I go and the progress.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35
Here is the progress as of now. The motor is out,head off,pistons out (had no signs of water in there and the cylinder walls look great. Oil pan removed, just was wondering what is the best thing to clean the bottom end out with. I was thinking kerosene because that shouldn't be harsh on the crank and other internal components. What does everyone else think is good to clean the bottom end I don't want to use any harsh chemicals. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35 #13  
I recently rebuilt a Farmall Cub engine and used a case of ether to clean it. Not sure what you mean by harsh, if you want something to clean it has to be more than water, lol.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35 #14  
What does everyone else think is good to clean the bottom end I
don't want to use any harsh chemicals.

Are you going to leave the crankshaft in place, or remove it to check the bearings? If the
former, then I use rags/paper towels to wipe the bulk of it off, then a parts brush with
a petroleum distillate. Use gravity, wiping downward, with engine upright and some
catchment below. For the final rinse, you can use carb cleaner spray and an air gun.

If you take out the crank, as when you might hone or bore the cylinders, you must
get all grit out. I use soap and water, with multiple rinses and an air gun. Immediate
coating afterward with oil is necessary to avoid rust. You should not use any
water if the crank is left in place.

I am currently doing a couple of Goldwing engines, both with failed water pumps, so
tons of sludge to remove. Ugh.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35
Planning not to pull the crankshaft at the moment.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35 #16  
Planning not to pull the crankshaft at the moment.

Your call, but once the engine is out, checking main bearing clearances and ring end gaps is
not a big job.

BTW, I use left over stale gasoline and a parts brush to clean, but kerosene works fine.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35
What is the best option to replace my head? Buy a bare head and switch my parts over into it(old head only has 288hrs on it). Buy a head from a junk yard or buy a complete new head?

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35 #18  
What is the best option to replace my head? Buy a bare head and switch my parts over into it(old head only has 288hrs on it). Buy a head from a junk yard or buy a complete new head?

No tractor junkyards in my area that I know of.
If you can find a used one you take your chances.
If it was mine I'd buy a new bare head and move the components from the old to the new.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35 #19  
What is the best option to replace my head?

No one will say that a brand new head is not the "best". Be prepared for sticker-shock,
however. If you are fortunate enough to find one in a US junkyard, you should, of course,
have it magnafluxed for cracks, and checked for warpage. If you are not confident
with doing that yourself, any engine builder can do that for you.

/ Cracked head 2000 tc35 #20  
Does anyone know if the engine in question is a common one used in many applications? That would give better odds of finding a used one.