Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap?

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #41  
I have a DGS6500, 26hp Kohler and 54" mower deck. The problem I have is the deck loads up with cuttings and dirt each time I use it. I have 1.5 acres to mow and half through the job, it's loaded. The only part not clogged is where the blades spin. I have to pull the deck and spend two hours with a putty knife cleaning the deck. I'm not sure what to do. I' getting tired of this weekly fiasco. :confused2:

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #42  
I have a DGS6500, 26hp Kohler and 54" mower deck. The problem I have is the deck loads up with cuttings and dirt each time I use it. I have 1.5 acres to mow and half through the job, it's loaded. The only part not clogged is where the blades spin. I have to pull the deck and spend two hours with a putty knife cleaning the deck. I'm not sure what to do. I' getting tired of this weekly fiasco. :confused2:

That's strange ...are you mowing in the mornings when the grass is wet ? That is the only thing I can think would cause that. I have a murray mower with a 20HP briggs and I even have a mulcher deck where nothing comes out the shute and it never clogs up even in wet grass...I don't have an answer .

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #43  
The grass is dry, have 50% weeds.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #44  
I've had my 42" Sears Craftsman HST riding mower since about '93. Changed the oil twice I think, & have never never changed or topped off the hydro fluid ... & it still runs & mows great.

The only "issue" is that the mower deck is worn enough that, while it engages easily, it doesn't want to disengage. I have to reach under & pull to dislodge it. A little irritatin' but oh well.

I will buy another one when this one's life is up.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #45  
The grass is dry, have 50% weeds.

Weeds are the problem they contain a lot of moisture, You can get a deck washer that slides under the deck and takes about 3 minutes to clean the deck and that will more than likely solve your problem.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #46  
I've had my 42" Sears Craftsman HST riding mower since about '93. Changed the oil twice I think, & have never never changed or topped off the hydro fluid ... & it still runs & mows great.

The only "issue" is that the mower deck is worn enough that, while it engages easily, it doesn't want to disengage. I have to reach under & pull to dislodge it. A little irritatin' but oh well.

I will buy another one when this one's life is up.

Lubricate the swivel on the deck that engages/disengages the blades, a little grease works wonders.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #47  
I shortened the shoot flap on my deck and it has helped a lot with clogging. I have a 54" deck.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #48  
Very happy with my '95 GT6000 19.5 Kohler 48" with Hydro. All original except belts, hydo cooling fan (don't plow over a brush pile) and 1 battery replacement. Mowes about an acre, many times twice a week. I have many attachments, one being a 650lb roller, so the tractor is used all seasons. I move trailers around (had to re-enforce the drawbar). I use it in the winter to plow the driveways and back lot. Wore out 2 blade controls. Starts at 27 below, but hydro needs 20 minutes to warm up.

Finally figured out how to service the "non servicable" Hydrogear. Wow, was that oil nasty after 15 years of abuse.

On another property, I inherited a POS newer MTD. Used it one season to mow, now used only to pull attachments. It's on its second POS Briggs 20hp. Mowing duties replaced by a 25 plus year Ranesome 60" with 18hp original Kohler-what a workhorse. Uses half the gas and mowes in a third the time and does not care if the grass is wet Wish I could pull attachments with that, I'd drive the MTD off the pier, been tempted several times.:laughing:

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #49  
Well at LLXXIII I guess I got a few years on you. In the 1950's my uncle had a wildcat 22/250 made out of a Husqvarna botl action rifle.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #50  
I've got a GT5000 48" Hydro since 2002/03. Immediately installed grease fittings into the deck spindles. Use it for 4 bumpy acres, and mulching the leaves in fall; mowing and mulching trails through the woods. Blades get sharpened 2 x year and all services. I just replaced the secondary deck belt this year, and repaired a cracked seat mount this summer. One front rod to the deck was welded about 5 years ago. Replaced battery 2 years ago. Repaired cracked gas tank this summer. I love this machine. It doesn't owe me a dime and I would recommend it, and the mulch kit, to anyone.

Attachments

• DSCN7048.JPG
    DSCN7048.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCN7064.JPG
    DSCN7064.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN7088.jpg
    DSCN7088.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited: