Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap?

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #51  
Finally figured out how to service the "non serviceable" Hydrogear. Wow, was that oil nasty after 15 years of abuse.......:laughing:

How did you change it. I have been thinking of this myself. Is there and internal screen somewhere? Thanks in advance

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #52  
I got a '94 LT4000 with a 14hp kohler from my inlaws. After a short list of adjustments and a few parts from a tractor scrap yard it just about runs like new. I made some chains for the rear tires and I'm putting a plow on it for this winter.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #53  
I have a GT5000 w 22 HP motor and 50" deck. Bearing on 1pully of the deck went bad. Sears parts direct for a full mandrel assembly with 10% coupon and shipping was $101.00+. Just for the heck of it checked Amazon.com. Same assembly with shipping was $31.00. Boy did I learn a lesson on that deal.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #54  
Received the parts today. They look good. What a deal. I'll let you know how well they install.:thumbsup:

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #55  
I got a '94 LT4000 with a 14hp kohler from my inlaws. After a short list of adjustments and a few parts from a tractor scrap yard it just about runs like new. I made some chains for the rear tires and I'm putting a plow on it for this winter.

I got the same model from my father when he got a new one. I believe it is also a 1994. Just replaced the seat and gas cap. Burns a little oil, but does great for being 16 years old.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #56  
well, we must be of a similar age, Joe, cause I too fondly remember those Huskie dirt bikes of the 60's and 70's. Dang! The lucky young pups that had those were the envy of all us high school guys.

I first heard the Huskie name from televised ice racing in the 70's.

...On another property, I inherited a POS newer MTD. Used it one season to mow, now used only to pull attachments. It's on its second POS Briggs 20hp. Mowing duties replaced by a 25 plus year Ranesome 60" with 18hp original Kohler-what a workhorse. Uses half the gas and mowes in a third the time and does not care if the grass is wet Wish I could pull attachments with that, I'd drive the MTD off the pier, been tempted several times.:laughing:

We bought a 2007 YS4500 with a 42" deck and a POS B/S 21hp engine. Had the head gasket replaced under waranty within the first year. When that work was done the Sears service mechanic apparently crushed the aluminum breather cover plate with his screw driver in the flywheel teeth while retorqueing the flywheel nut. I discovered the leaking breather cover and went to remove the flywheel to fix it. The flywheel hub's tapered bore was cracked starting in the keyway, apparently due to being over tightened when the head gasket was replaced or just a defective casting. So I'm waiting for the Fed-ex guy to bring me that $$$ replacement flywheel.

The tractor itself has been trouble free - we use it to mow about 1/2 acre of lawn with the grass collector and my wife uses it as a hauler with the wagon in our vegetable garden and to bring a 55 gal drum with water for our mellon/pumpkin patch which is too far to reach with the hose. We also use it with a roller and a drop spreader for seeding the veg garden with cover crop, which it does nicely once the deck is removed.

I'm kind of indifferent to the machine, but my wife really wants to ditch it since it always manages to have a major engine problem whenever we really need to use it. This time it was with the Cyclone Rake we borrowed from her mom. With any luck we'll get it put back together and get the leaves up before it rains again.

I wish I could replace that engine with a little deisel ... anybody try that?

-Jim

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #57  
I have an old 14.5hp Sears, maybe mid 80's that gets the snot beat out of it each time I use it and it still comes back for more. I have a few places that I haven't filled in and ledge is sticking up. When I have time I mow it with a string trimmer but when I'm in a hurry I'll use the Sears. It's not unusual when doing this that I'll have to shift my weight to get both rear wheels traction lifting one of the fronts off the ground. The frame creaks a little but after a couple of years of doing this nothing has cracked or broke.

The mower deck did rust out and I have broken two mandrels for the deck (ebay is a great place to get replacements). The only engine problems were the coil died and if I dog the engine down too much it smokes like I put desiel in it, not sure if it's a cracked ring or a case breather issue, but it still starts and runs fine.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #58  
Update. New mandrel assembly was easy to install with the deck removed. I will probably order 2 more and rework the whole deck this winter.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #59  
Ok, while I am still quite unhappy with the new orange husky, my old green craftsmen is coming back to life!!

I put an electric fuel pump in the system and now the engine runs great!

Next spring I will correct the damages from it sitting idle so long. Tires, belts, lube, engine and trans oil, etc.

Next summer I believe the old green craftsmen will have a chance to restore my faith!

For now the two garden tractors are off for a winter snooze while the Kubota gets chained up and it's snow plow mounted.

/ Craftsman Tractors -Better Than The Bad Rap? #60  
I have a YTD3000 42" w/35HP Briggs....with rear tire weights and chains on full time. I mow nearly a mile of rough trail and about 2 acres of very rough field. I do not mow my yard with it. It is about 7-8 years old and it has been abused!

The engine is great...very strong...uses no oil...and starts right up. My field gets mowed just once a year and well I do overlap 50/50 it cuts right through the tall "hay" and heavy weeds. I keep mostly on the highest setting top avoid as many obstacles as possible.

I have two "issues" that I deal with...

1) Mandrels. I have learned that with the abuse I give my mower deck the mandrels are common repair items. I now have learned both how to fix them and where to get them. Not too difficult. Plus...I believe most? LTs have same or similar mandrels. Not sure if more expensive scuts have better mandrels?

2) Front deck mounting/adjustment linkage. I run the tractor pretty hard while cutting my two acres and have been know to kind of run into ground impediments with the front linkage/undercarriage...usually annually :(
The front clearance is not good and the linkage rods and frame connectors are somewhat vulnerable. I have both replace pieces to repair but now have gotten pretty good at bending back into shape. Each time I repair it probably messes up the "evenness" of my cutting deck...but since I do not mow my year the level is not very important...as long as it close...remember I also overlap 50%.

I consider my Sears engine quite strong and reliable...I DO keep clean oil in it...least I can do for it :) The issues above I consider my problem since I a certainly using the tractor for uses it was not built for.

This...plus my desire in the future to work more on my 120 acres of land (mostly woods) has me "shopping" and learning about the real tractor world. Obviously a brush cutter would handle both my trails and field with relative ease...along with opening up other ground engagement opportunities and FEL opportunities. So far my checkbook has stayed closed.

BTW...has anyone found higher strength mandrels for the standard Sears (and most LTs) mower decks?

Also, do the more expensive mower decks on the scuts have significantly stronger mandrels?

Thanks Guys...Tom R