cub cadet hds 2185 over heating

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #11  
How about the cooling is it plugged in the fins under the schroud?

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #12  
I'm going to side with Fordlords and Bob, because I've replaced a couple of these Cub modules. Harbor freight sells a inline spark indicator that really is a useful tool for these scenarios.

They are about 4 bucks, I believe. Plug it in and mow with it, if we are correct, the spark will fail after it warms up causing the tractor to stall.

Curt

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #13  
Jierdan said:
Got bad news all.. that didn't work at all.. any other ideas???

You tried starting fluid and it still didn't start. That eliminates the "no fuel" possibility. Which means it's something in the ignition system...

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #14  
Jierdan said:
Got bad news all.. that didn't work at all.. any other ideas???

What didn't work, what have you tried?
Curt

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating
With the new ignition, the motor runs the same way, about 15 mins or so it just stalls/die's. The engine is air cooled, (here's my ignorance on motors) What is the cooling fins and shroud?

I also tried unplugging the yellow safety switch wire from the ingition switch to see if there was a issue with any of the safety items.

Any thoughts? Again, thank you all for all the help.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #16  
Can you see fuel in the line when it dies? Are you running an OEM fuel filter? Gas cap vent plugged? I've seen these vac-pulse fuel pumps quit working once they heat up. The case distorts slightly and they loose their internal seal & loose prime. Just some guesses.

Joel

Yes, there is fuel in the line.

Thanks,
Rusty

Got more info on this funky situation.. I took off the side panel to watch the fuel filter and I have notice a HUGH drop in fuel in the filter itself. Should there always be a specific/certain amount in it? I also noticed if I took of the gas cap and just let it sit and run it ran for about 20 or so then I put the cap back on and within 5 mins it died. Can a gas cap really effect it in this way?

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #19  
The gas cap is vented so that air can be sucked into the tank but not exhausted from the tank into the air for pollution requirements. If the vent is stuck or plugged the tank will build up a vacuum as the fuel is drawn out of the tank. This will cause the engine to be starved for fuel.

Bob B.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #20  
I have the same model doing the same thing. Since last mowing season I have wrestled with it. I have found that if I lift the hood, even with the side panels off, it will start right back up. I have also noticed that the back of the plastic headlight on the right side (exhaust side of the engine) is bubbled up from getting too hot. I would love to fix this so that I can mow longer than 20 minutes at a time.