cub cadet hds 2185 over heating

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #21  
Same problem here. I noticed discoloration around exhaust(muffler) and found a hole in the muffler on the rightside when facing mower. Is this enough heat being sent back into the engine to cause it to overheat? I left mine running with full choke and no pto and the heat was enough to melt my pto belt in half .

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #22  
yes look at your fuel filter when the motor is hot. see if the fuel is boiling. if so vapor lock is your problem, that would explain why the starting fluid didn't help also. isolate the fuel line from the muffler heat. mine was doing the same thing. good luck

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #23  
mine has a new muffler & exhaust pipe and it is still too hot in there. I fixed a vapor lock problem but it still cooks the pto belt, clutch & the bearings for the belt guide pulleys. i am going to move my muffler outside the engine cover like a pulling tractor! it is a bad design..those engineers could learn something from rednecks!

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #24  
yes look at your fuel filter when the motor is hot. see if the fuel is boiling. if so vapor lock is your problem, that would explain why the starting fluid didn't help also. isolate the fuel line from the muffler heat. mine was doing the same thing. good luck

Vapor lock causes fuel starvation and starting fluid WOULD allow the engine to start. The fact that it didn't means it's something else like ignition or timing problem.

Bob B.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #25  
Vapor lock causes fuel starvation and starting fluid WOULD allow the engine to start. The fact that it didn't means it's something else like ignition or timing problem.

Bob B.

if i read his post correctly he has already eliminated the ignition system. you and i differ on what vapor lock means..vapor lock causes the fuel not to atomize properly which floods the engine.. NOT fuel starvation..the plug will be very wet with fuel and if it trys to start back black smoke will roll out of the muffler indicating a very Rich mixture..the vapor is what ignites not raw fuel adding ether to the mix will do nothing but make it smell funny..starting fluid should be used for cold diesel engines...and yes i use it sometimes for quick trouble shooting when i am being lazy.
in this case his problem sounds exactly like a little mower that i have. Mine is fixed....:cool:

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #26  
if i read his post correctly he has already eliminated the ignition system. you and i differ on what vapor lock means..vapor lock causes the fuel not to atomize properly which floods the engine.. NOT fuel starvation..the plug will be very wet with fuel and if it trys to start back black smoke will roll out of the muffler indicating a very Rich mixture..the vapor is what ignites not raw fuel adding ether to the mix will do nothing but make it smell funny..starting fluid should be used for cold diesel engines...and yes i use it sometimes for quick trouble shooting when i am being lazy.
in this case his problem sounds exactly like a little mower that i have. Mine is fixed....:cool:
I'm not sure what book you are reading but the definition of "vapor lock" that I have understood for the past 65 years that I have been servicing gasoline and diesel engines is that the fuel gets too hot, such as when a fuel line is routed too close to an exhaust system, and the fuel effectively boils and turns to vapor which cannot be handled by the fuel pump and the end result is engine fuel starvation. Here is the Wikipedia definition:

Vapor lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob B.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #27  
I'm not sure what book you are reading but the definition of "vapor lock" that I have understood for the past 65 years that I have been servicing gasoline and diesel engines is that the fuel gets too hot, such as when a fuel line is routed too close to an exhaust system, and the fuel effectively boils and turns to vapor which cannot be handled by the fuel pump and the end result is engine fuel starvation. Here is the Wikipedia definition:

Vapor lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob B.

just so you know i was trying to assist someone (apparently 5 years ago with their engine) being a newbie to the forum i didn't see how old the post was. seems as if i offended your "master advice" unintentionally for sure..about using ether for gas engines..

i'm not reading anything ..i was remembering years of troubleshooting .. i have only been making engines run in the real world for 30 plus years.. nothing like your 65..since you must be nearly 100 i will explain this new fangled wikipedia thing you mentioned.. any tom dick or harry can post a wiki it is just a web published opinion and if enough like minds post similar things people like you assume they are facts.
.. why do you suppose there are thermal insulators under most carbs? i'll help you out..to keep the gas from boiling in the carb! ever hear of a thermo-quad? Chrysler made the whole carb out of black insulating material.. same reason... yes the boiling interferes with the fuel flow from the pump. the boiling or "vapor locking" can occur in the carb and since i figured he couldn't see through the carb body i maybe he could try looking through the filter.the whole point was look for vaporlock somewhere!... I could go on and on and on but why bother right? ...he tried all your suggestions and didn't fix the problem & had asked "now what?" i threw in my .02 cents..now mister BoB I really am enjoying our little talk but in our short little interaction i feel like we can't be friends..you are too easily offended already know everything... I plan to not reply to any more posts by you or make anymore comments..and i will say away from your bridge(troll reference) priceless! ahhh i kill me..okay now to summarize i don't wish to communicate with you any further. i was just passing through and tried to help someone (5years late) ..don't need a penpal ! and i wasn't asking for help..Thanks!

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #28  
Welcome to the tractor forum. We all just try to help each other by answering questions, posting photos and giving references to download diagrams, parts etc. We don't indulge in personal attacks or sarcastic remarks. If these rules aren't acceptable perhaps you joined the wrong forum.
I believe my response of 9-24-2007 probably fixed his problem so this is all pretty moot now.
Have a nice day!

Bob B.

P.S. I'm only 107.

/ cub cadet hds 2185 over heating #29  
Welcome to the tractor forum. We all just try to help each other by answering questions, posting photos and giving references to download diagrams, parts etc. We don't indulge in personal attacks or sarcastic remarks. If these rules aren't acceptable perhaps you joined the wrong forum.
I believe my response of 9-24-2007 probably fixed his problem so this is all pretty moot now.
Have a nice day!

Bob B.

P.S. I'm only 107.

Thank you! ;)