Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems...

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #21  
I feel lucky to have found this forum but I have to say this is a mystery.
I am having the exact same problem. The tractor was my Dad's and he stopped using it when he became ill 3 years ago, he died soon after from a stroke.
I have used the mower a few times since but I had to repair many things first the hydrostatic fluid then the corroded battery. I then replaced the main PTO belt since it was frayed. I used it two weeks ago and the engine died each time I engaged the PTO. I jogged the switch so the blade had some gyro to let it engage. It was very shaky. I decided to park it but my Mother asked her neighbor to use it to mow her yard and the belt broke in a short time.
This was a convenient time for my Mother to tell me that my Dad had been trying to fix something with the deck when he became ill.
The clutch engages normally with no belt. Same problem but this 2000 series is a 2000 year model.

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #22  
psycosmyth - go look under the tilt-up seat and get the full model # off the tractor's ID plate... I don't think lt1042's were made back in 2000 aand let's make sure we're all on the same page as to machine models before getting into details. .Plss post the number back here in a reply.

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #23  
Reach up under the deck and try turning the blades. If they don't turn, check and see if there is a blade brake that is not working. You might take off the deck belt and see if all the spindles spin freely. Some of the bearings could be rusted and jammed up things. If the electric clutch is spinning with the PTO engaged, then the trouble is in the deck or idler for the drive belt to the deck spindle.

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #24  
The Clutch housing has a notch that the 5/16 belt guard passes. If you missed the notch after replacing your belt? Your clutch may be damaged? Then again it may not receive a ground at all times?

This "guard rod is under the engine and frame. It inserts into a hole on the right side and has an inverted bolt that holds it in place on the left and runs close to the drive pulley underneath.

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #25  
I have a cub cadet 1042 that keeps snapping the 7/16 bolt that attaches the clutch to the crankshaft. It has broken 3 bolts this spring. We have checked the crankshaft to see if it was bent---only 1/1000 which I was told was well within tolerance. We have replaced the clutch and the bolt lasted about one month this time.HELP

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #26  
Crowl - make sure you are using at least a grade 5 or grade 8 capscrew.. also asm with dry threads torquing to 50-55 ft/lbs (drop 10% if you use a thread compound) . If you are using a hammer wrench to tighten, you may be necking the capscrew, causing it to fail. You will have to try a strap wrench around the PTO to hold or stuff the cyl chamber with rope (Make sure BOTH valves are closed before inserting rope) and then use a regular torque wrench to get the correct values..

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #27  
We have used both grade 5 & grade 8 bolts and both failed. We used a torque wrench, but we were told to torque to 75 lbs. We will drill out the remaining bolt and try again with less torque---Thank You

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #28  
good. that torque value for a 7/16 gr 5-8 capscrew comes from Warner.....