cultivator, disk, or spike harrow

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #41  
A 2x6? Are you kidding? That's just boring. Why use something cheap when you can get something expensive with lots of moving parts, springs, wheels, hydraulic hoses, bearings, grease fittings and shiney paint? How will the economy in China rebound if we use a $6 board in place of expensive implements made of scrap metal from the US?

Rob knows I'm just kidding, but in all seriousness a 2x6 is a bit low tech. I use a 6x6 with chain link fence wrapped around it. That's high tech!

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #42  
A 2x6? Are you kidding? That's just boring. Why use something cheap when you can get something expensive with lots of moving parts, springs, wheels, hydraulic hoses, bearings, grease fittings and shiney paint? How will the economy in China rebound if we use a $6 board in place of expensive implements made of scrap metal from the US?

Rob knows I'm just kidding, but in all seriousness a 2x6 is a bit low tech. I use a 6x6 with chain link fence wrapped around it. That's high tech!

Drag a piece of carpet behind the cultipacker to level ridges.

I can be Chinese carpet too!

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #43  
disc is not the solution. if you disc, youll kill a percentage of your existing grasses, then if you expect to get the soil contact for germination from the disc you will get a small percentage of germination. now keep buying seed and eventually youll have a nice tuff of turf. or like i recommend, do it the right way the first time.. saving money on using the wrong tool is a fools game, it's not saving money in the end... keep buying seed, discing, and crossing your fingers. :rolleyes:

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #44  
disc is not the solution. if you disc, youll kill a percentage of your existing grasses, then if you expect to get the soil contact for germination from the disc you will get a small percentage of germination. now keep buying seed and eventually youll have a nice tuff of turf. or like i recommend, do it the right way the first time.. saving money on using the wrong tool is a fools game, it's not saving money in the end... keep buying seed, discing, and crossing your fingers. :rolleyes:

Oh to be young, so overconfident, and know EVERYTHING again...... :rolleyes:

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #45  

Well now I got to get in on this! I have Coastal Bermuda Grass, want it to grow better next year Disc it and watch it come back. Now for solid virgin ground, 1st use a ripper, then a bottom plow, disc it and use a seeder. I like a good old JD grain drill with a grass seeder. And yes you will have the Bermuda grass come back after the wheat is off, or you have grazed the winter grass and it will make a better paeture Grass.

BTW there are sprays safe for cattle and horse's ....

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #46  
disc is not the solution. if you disc, youll kill a percentage of your existing grasses,

Are you listening? Have you ever used a disk. A disk with the gangs set out straight does very little more than score the ground, not that much more than a no-till drill. It will not have a significant impact on existing turf.

In fact, to prepare a food plot from virign ground I usually plow then disk. That has a huge impact on the existing grass and weeds because the plow turns the turf over and the disk chops it up. But, in one place I just disked. As deeply and aggressively as I could, trying to disrupt the virgin turf as much as possible. It was composed of fescue, weeds and wild roses. When I was done, it looked plowed. I broadcast the plot mix over this.

Guess what? The plot mix came up okay. But so did the fescue and so did the roses. It had an impact, but not huge.

As we've said a dozen times here so far, the disk at a reasonable setting is not going to disrupt what's already there all that much.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow
White (Ladino) clover, which was the clover recommended to me by my local extension agent, has very small seeds and germinates best when on top of the soil (or less than 1/4" deep). So a drill, besides being expensive and hard to get, may not be the best choice here. Unfortunately I don't have access to a cultipacker or roller, which would increase contact with the soil.

Based on all the info received, I plan to buy a 5' disk and lightly disc while dragging behind it a 6' chain link fence gate with a 6x6" beam attached. I will then broadcast Ladino clover seed in January and rely on rain and freezing/thawing of ground to deposit seeds on soil.

OP

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #48  
I really think Skerby is driving with his turn signal on. Either no idea or just trying to irate others.

Where did I real it a while back about wrestling with a pig, don't do it. Wish I could remember the reason given.

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #49  
Either no idea or just trying to irate others.

Well, his avatar is a picture of Che Guevara. So either he's a communist or a counter culturist who romanticizes Guevara. And what would one expect from either?

/ cultivator, disk, or spike harrow #50  
Based on all the info received, I plan to buy a 5' disk and lightly disc while dragging behind it a 6' chain link fence gate with a 6x6" beam attached. I will then broadcast Ladino clover seed in January and rely on rain and freezing/thawing of ground to deposit seeds on soil.

OP

That sounds as reasonable as anything else. As mentioned, I know nothing about clover, but you might want to pull the homemade harrow around after you've seeded too.

I'm not even sure a drill can handle clover seeds? Anyone know?